Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any suggestions or tricks to help with mosquitoes? Seems like they are really bad this year b/c of all the rain. Stuff with DEET really bothers my asthma, so I'm limited on how often I use it b/c of that. Just wondering if any of you have your own methods of warding off the annoying little pests.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Both the skin so soft & thermocell work well ; I like the thermocell because I don't like to small too girly !!

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
15,857 Posts
word of caution on the thermocell. do not stay down wind of it too long. I was bow hunting in a tree stand a few years back and strapped the thermocell to a branch beside me. there was a cross wind and it was blowing the vapor across me. I didn't think anything about it, it didn't bother me at the time. but several hours later when I was home and trying to sleep, I thought I was going to die. I could only take short breaths and gasp for air. I finally had to get out of bed.

I like to use deep woods off. always use it when I frog gig and don't have a mosquito problem.

a little tip on the thermocell. if you want to save some money on the refills, cut the blue pad in half and only heat 1/2 at a time. they work just as well and last almost as long as a full pad.

·
~~~~~~~~~
501 Posts
I bought a Thermacell a couple weeks ago and got to try it out last night.
Had a little fire in the backyard and as soon as the wife and I settled in the bugs started feasting. Remembering I had this new contraption (unproven to me) I got it out and started it up. I live 1/2 block from Lake Erie and it's been wet up here so bugs are plentiful to say the least. Within 10 minutes there wasn't a bug around! We sat out till midnight and were bug free all night !

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I bought a Thermacell a couple weeks ago and got to try it out last night.
Had a little fire in the backyard and as soon as the wife and I settled in the bugs started feasting. Remembering I had this new contraption (unproven to me) I got it out and started it up. I live 1/2 block from Lake Erie and it's been wet up here so bugs are plentiful to say the least. Within 10 minutes there wasn't a bug around! We sat out till midnight and were bug free all night !
Dang bcnulater, I thought you were going to give us the name of the "new contraption":D.

·
Registered
146 Posts
how long do those last? I need it to last 24-48 hours when we camp out on this island at the lake we go to in Canada....ive heard they dont last long at all and you need plenty of refills..

·
Registered
862 Posts
I have seen some homemade product on facebook I have yet to try it but people say it works if I ever run by it again I will post it.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Found the homemade recipe try it and see how well it works....

HOME MADE MOSQUITO REPELLENT (ALSO FOR ANTS & FLEAS)

(And free from chemicals that poison the body)

Ingredients:

1/2 litre of alcohol
100 gram of whole cloves
100 ml of baby oil or similar (almond, sesame, chamomile, lavender, fennel etc)

Preparation:
Leave cloves to marinate in alcohol four days
Stir every morning and evening
After 4 days add the oil
It's now ready to use.

How to use:

Gently rub a few drops into the skin of the arms and legs.
Observe the mosquitoes fleeing the room.
Repels fleas on pets too.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Both the skin so soft & thermocell work well ; I like the thermocell because I don't like to small too girly !!
I have the Asthma issue too. SSO worked for the mosquitoes and black flies. I took a ribbing about the skin so soft smell, while in Canada for a week of Pike fishing. But after the second night of camp chili, the guys were asking if I could spread some of the skin so soft on the cabin bunk bed frame. :D

·
name of Alex
4,719 Posts
Well, I'm trying the clove recipe. I got a half-liter of 42 proof vodka, poured some off, and added a good handful of cloves along with some diced lemon and sprigs of fresh mint, then topped off with regular vodka. I'll let it steep for a few days then add the oil, and some soap to help emulsify the oil with the vodka.

Swirling the cloves in the bottle makes it look like I drowned a bunch of big ants.

·
Double lunger
1,560 Posts
Eat more Onions and Garlic. Seriously, before I got married I ate about 3 lbs of onions a week and a bunch of Garlic. Never used to be bothered. Now that I don't eat the much of them, the damn skeeters tear me up.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts