Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
(stcroixjoe)
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to share my experience with Natural Strike in North Ridgeville ,I just bought a new to me outboard for my boat and i'm going through replacing parts that need replacing (waterpump,impeller,plugs,lower unit fluid,thermostat)Well I called Natural Strike to get a price on a thermostat and he called me back and told me the price of 16.99 plus 8.00 for shipping I said ok thanks for the call back I'm going to shop around a little but your in the mid range of price's This guy Dave maybe the owner ,told me to never call them again if I was going to shop around for a lower price and hung up on me!! What an A-Hole. I work hard for my money and I will shop around to try to find the best deal. Just wanted to vent....( iboats 9.89 + 5.40 to ship)

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Consider for a second that Dave works hard for his money too, in this horrible economy. And then someone calls, makes him go look up a part, and then says, "No thanks, I'll shop around for the cheapest possible price and even if it's an unknown warehouse in BFE with no overhead, I'll buy it there. It's not worth 10 bucks to me to shop local." Consider that perhaps, Dave, also felt the need to vent, but Dave did it in private, on the phone. You did it in public where it can probably make dozens of people (if not more) think twice about supporting Dave's livelihood.

Somehow, I think Dave, not you , may have gotten the short end of the stick here.

·
Powderfinger
7,789 Posts
And then someone calls, makes him go look up a part, and then says, "No thanks, I'll shop around for the cheapest possible price and even if it's an unknown warehouse in BFE with no overhead, I'll buy it there.

Waaaaahhhhhh. That's his job. I just did the same thing this week on a new furnace and central air unit. I shopped around and went back to the original guy even though his price was a little higher as installation and reputation is half the game.
But I wasn't going to blindly spend my money without seeing what else was out there.
If this furnace saleman acted like that when I told him I not signing a contract till I check around, I never would have went back to him. But he was an all around professional.

·
(stcroixjoe)
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your right I hope 1000's of people read this and dont shop there I DONT CARE ,I was sharing/venting my experience there that's all I was going to support the local guy and go there that's why I called there

·
Urban Angler
6,295 Posts
I have no sympathy for Dave. These local boys need to adapt to the marketplace and quit complaining about changing times. Americans need to rethink their approach and reclaim the 'work work work' mindset that our East Asian counterparts have adopted and prospered with.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Firstly: A $3k+ furnace and a $25 thermostat are 2 entirely different things. While I agree with your sentiment regarding the furnace I don't think it applies to a 25 dollar part (Just my opinion).

Secondly: I was just posting the other side of the story. I don't know if you know it or not, but several businesses won't advertise on the OGF for precisely these types of threads. We all know that you can't make 100% of people happy 100% of the time, but IMHO, threads like this are problematic. Yes, I understand that people need to have their opinion and I'm not saying we should censor anyone. But as is often the case, the subject of these posts has no recourse to defend themselves.

I'm thinking back to the Parma Marine flamefest a couple years ago, for example.

·
OSU outdoorsman
2,230 Posts
Sounds like Dave forgot the most important business lesson: The customer is always right.

The customers are what Dave makes his living off of, he could at least treat them professionally

·
Registered
11,372 Posts
I owned my commission only rep. business for 20 years and relied on customer service and courtesy to establish a strong and respected reputation. I would have never responded like Dave did and would have immediately fired any of my sales personnel that treated a potential customer in the same way. Our sales ranged from $50.00 to $1,500,000.00 and each customer was handled in a respectful manner, even those that chose to shop the $50.00 written quote.

I also feel that any business that is part of the following reference must have done something be concerned about.

" I don't know if you know it or not, but several businesses won't advertise on the OGF for precisely these types of threads"

·
Team Fatty
1,258 Posts
so what if dave works hard for his money, especially owning a place, THATS HIS JOB! first impressions are always the most important ones, if some A-hole did that to me, i'd be pissed too and i'd post it everywhere i could to make sure no one gave him a dime. it's called a lesson. so what if dave got made for having to put in the effort of finding a part and calling someone back, once again, THATS HIS JOB. you win some, you lose some. but with an attitude like that, you lose them all.

thats completely your right to spend as less as you possibly can, after all...we work hard for our money just like dave does. maybe once he shopped around he would have gave dave his money just to support the little man. but now certainly not.

·
Perch Addict
892 Posts
If I ever hung up on one of my customers, I would deserve whatever I got from it.

Never hang up on a customer, they never forget it............

·
Banned
798 Posts
maybe Dave was a HUGE Micheal Jackson fan or Billy Mays fan... If so, he's had a few bad days.. So give him a break!!!!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I also feel that any business that is part of the following reference must have done something be concerned about.

" I don't know if you know it or not, but several businesses won't advertise on the OGF for precisely these types of threads"
Come on Ron, be realistic. Every business has dissatisfied customers. The problem is, that with the anonymity of the internet, anyone can make baseless claims, or even legitimate claims that get blown out of proportion. It's like word of mouth raised to the Nth power...I know of at least 3 businesses run by good, honest people where someone has trashed their name and detrimentally affected their business, based on a difference of OPINION on this very forum.

All I'm saying is that there is a LOT of damage that can be done with these types of threads. Does stcroixjoe have a legitimate gripe? Yes. Do I consider Dave's alleged behavior inappropriate? Yes. Do I think that public vilification, character drubbing, and denouncement of the entire Natural Strike establishment is warranted? Absolutely not.

Everyone posting in here immediately assumed that Dave was the owner (there's no evidence of this) and that Natural Strike as a business should be sanctioned and avoided by potentially 1000's of people based one one unsubstantiated report. This is not right!

·
multi species angler
4,369 Posts
Every dollar counts in this day and age. If I can save money buy shopping around, whether on a $10 item or a $1000 item, I am all for it. If business owners can't deal with it then maybe they should not be in business. Saving a little money on a low cost item might not seem like much to some but it ads up in the end and could mean a lot to others. Bad experiences should be posted in an open forum just like good experiences are.:)

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
There are three sides to every story, side A, side B, and the truth. Everyone seems to be forming an opinion based on only one side.

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
I think everyone is making a valid point here... Bottom line is for business folks out there, treat your customers right.

There have been lots and lots of good service and attitude reports here on the site as well.

As far as people not advertising on OGF, that is their choice. I can see Commodore's point as to why, because those business owners have no way to defend themselves from threads that get out of control with bashing, even from folks who have never done business with them. I think that's his point. I know a lot of folks(not advertisers) who used to post don't anymore because of seemingly always getting jumped on for this or that. They're just tired of getting into whizzing matches over a simple difference of opinion.

The Internet is a funny place and things get taken the wrong way all the time. But this is the way of things. For as big as this site is with as much traffic as it gets, it's uncommon. seems to come in waves when there's bad weather, ice season, etc... Or during steelhead season. ;):D

Hang in there guys. Good luck to the folks at Natural Strike. Maybe they were having a bad day or were busy, who knows. Hopefully, they'll work for better customer service in the future.

·
officially unofficial!!!!
2,536 Posts
Come on Ron, be realistic. Every business has dissatisfied customers.

All I'm saying is that there is a LOT of damage that can be done with these types of threads.[/B]
true,but every business had satisfied customers also!
giving someone a price quote is part of being in business.making a choice of which business you wish to patronize is the customers choice and that choice is usually based on the best price AND customer service.being treated with some degree of respect is part of customer service.
i agree that alot of damage can be done by these types of threads.but the other side of the argument is that alot of good can be done for a business by these types of threads too.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
commodore your point is valid but not well received here for one reason. this fictional dave character vented his frustration to a potential customer. that potential customer deemed his experience unacceptable and voiced his opinion on a public forum. it is up to dave to treat every customer with respect and earn the same in return. I work in advertising and guys like dave have this sense of entitlement that leads to a negative reception. it IS HIS JOB to make his potential customers realize his virtues. if he can't beat people on price he needs to beat them on service,, not some sense of entitlement.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)
5,882 Posts
i was treated rudely by a guy (owner or not, i dont care) from Reed's Sporting Goods years ago and i never even considered ever shopping there again....right or wrong you dont treat customers like that. ive held several customer service positions in my life....you just dont do that.

more of a testament to the internet.....small places with good reps get 100x more business due to it than otherwise. (JamminJigs comes to mind)the internet is a magnifying glass.

·
The Inferior Fisherman
2,644 Posts
Being in the remodeling buisness for over 20 years I can understand the frustration from buisness people. So many people scheduled appointments, from every city imaginable, never having any intent of giving you there buisness. There just fishing. It sucks when you put days of work into the proposal to find out all they wanted was your design pages for free. Doesn't happen with me, 500 buck charge. However, you must never lose your cool. If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen. Never treat a customer with anything less than respect, never. You can't always have the best deal in town, but you can have the best reputation.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts