Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
toad and i spent some time casting/trolling roadrunners up the creek today,and found the whites active finally.lots of waders/bankers out catching fish.we didn't see any big fish or big numbers,but they're dfinitely running.we managed severa whites,along with some crappies.nothing huge,but a few were 10-12 inche.all fish were caught on 1/16 ounce roadrunner with blue/white tube.tried other presentations,they liked that combo much better.
water temp had dropped 10 degrees since my last trip on thursday,to low to mid 50's.
go get 'em guys:D

·
Lucky Fisher, or skilled?
1,887 Posts
went out today to the Bends, got 1 LM. Did not want to go to the bends but the only place we could think of to go to (being to so late) wish i would have thought about the run, did not even come to mind.

·
Scourge of Hoover
1,869 Posts
Great report Rick, glad you and Toad got out. I should have everything on my new boat wrapped up to hit the water this coming weekend. Can't wait.

·
Sponser MHS
696 Posts
Thanks for the report Rick!! Going in the morning looking for slabs shallow. If i dont get any planning on working my way back toward baldridge. Dont know what to expect behind a little this year on getting a pattern together.:D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well I finally have something to report. I finally got some time to go fishing, since my wife and kids went to a friend's for dinner, so I finished up my yardwork and headed up to Galena for 2 hours. The banks were packed on both sides, so I headed down the east bank about 1/4 mile. Started fishing with a white grub/lead head, nothing. Saw some action on the surface, so I put on a shallow running spinner, 2 small white bass. Put on a heavier white spinner and ended up with about 24 white bass, 4 crappie, and 2 sunfish. The largest white bass was about 16 to 18 inches, but most were hand size. The largest crappie was about 12 inches but the others were less than 8. The key for me was to twitch the tip of my rod during my retrieve. It seemed to muster up a strike. Most people fishing around me were using bobber and minnows and getting an occasional fish.

Interesting note, when I was leaving an had a quick chat with a couple guys headed in. They were surprised that I caught mainly white bass, because they were there earlier in the morning and got a lot of crappie but only a few white bass. So, maybe the white bass are just starting to run...

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
wow rick and rec....i was down there just past the galena bridge and only got one small whitebass and a crappie....
rick how far up the creek did you go? when i was there i didnt see anyone out. and what time was it..maybe i hit it to early.
thanks
scott

·
day late, dollar short
868 Posts
I was up there yesterday on the northwest and northeast side. I couldn't get much of anything. Nothing really in the shallows and no white bass either. I threw everything. Managed about 10 small crappie in 4 hours. boy was I doing something wrong.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was there from 5:15 to 7:15. I fished from the east bank just past where the little creek channel that drains the flooded area enters the river (I had to use a downed tree as a bridge to cross the drainage creek). The fish were hitting in waves. I assume they were schooled up moving through the river. At one point I caught fish on three consecutive casts. Like I mentioned before, using an erratic retrieve was the trick. I noticed some surface action with some little bait fish swimming for their lives, so I tried to mimic their action. I was also changing up my retrieve speeds to fish different depths. The crappies were hitting on the slower, deeper retrieves, while the white bass were hitting on varying types of retrieves. The bigger fish came from out in the middle of the river, but I also got some fish (smaller and the blue gills) from within 12 ft of the bank. I also noticed that when the wind picked up and put a little ripple on surface of the water, the fish seemed to hit more.

·
Senior Executive Member
1,285 Posts
might be up there today. my cousin is in town and wants to do some fishing. this will be my first time fishing the white bass run round here.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Nice report Rec and good job catching them! I should take my daughter there so she can experience white bass. Ive never been near galena fishing area. Hope its kids friendly!

·
mr. saturday night
186 Posts
tiny males 3-4 inches. some people were catching dink crappie 6-8 inches and keeping them. they need a slot limit at hoover. that sucks :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts