Hoover White Bass 10/07

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by TAG24, Oct 7, 2007.

1. TAG24

TAG24 Member

I've read other reports about getting on a school of white bass. Until today I have only caught a few here and there. This morning I was trolling a small Rapala minnow working my way back to the dock to call it a day when I got one. I stopped trolling and started casting and got one on almost every cast for about 20 mintues. All in the 12-14" range. I didn't count how many and only stopped to take one pic with the camera phone. Man it was a blast!

Attached Files:

2. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

nice to see someone else having fun with those critters:D
    good average size.
    pattern seems to have changed a bit with the "heat wave" the last few days.i think trolling is a great locating tool in these conditions.am i right in assuming they were suspended in deeper water?

3. I got into them too today. Most were suspended at 20-25 fow. The biggest went a little over 15" 4 were over 14". Probably caught 30 or so in 2 hours and then the bight cooled off. I usually troll, but we were actually getting them by casting today.

4. TAG24

TAG24 Member

I was getting them in 10 - 15 fow and there was some surface activity going on around me as well. A couple times I saw schools of minnows being chased all the way up to the bank.

5. Started off at Alum today. A few small crappies and lots of pleasure boats. Seemed more like the 4th of July. Switched to Hoover and wasted no time finding hungry schools of WB along with a mixed bag of LM and Channel Cats. Everything caught casting 1/8oz silver buddies. Didn't see any saugeye caught at either lake.

6. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

ok guys,i give:(
    i usually haven't had trouble locating fish lately,and am a little disappointed with myself for not getting mitch on the fish saturday:(
    what time of day were you into the fish?i looked in all my usual spots till about 1:00 saturday and couldn't find active fish.barely marked any in some spots.
    after reviewing weather patterns for saturday and sunday,the differences i saw were high/fairly steady high pressure,no wind on saturday,with slight fall in pressure in the afternoon.
    sunday seemed to bring falling pressure and some wind,as the day progressed.those are two factors i believe affect the fish most,and they were more favorable on sunday.so i think that may have be my answer.at any rate,that's my story and i'm sticking to it:p :p :D

7. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

Don't sweat it Rick - I didn't give Mitch a good showing the night before either. Actually, we didn't start getting bit till right at dark. I truely believe the heat has go to go, but sadly I think it will just plunge into coldness when it does. (No gentle transition.) We marked surface temps right around 74 degrees. For October that is just insane!!!!

8. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i can understand that,but not from me:D ;)
    i think you guys had the high pressure hex on you friday too,though.i really believe that has/had more effect than the heat.i need to get one of those barometers like you,so i can keep an eye on it all the time.

9. Rick, I fished hoover from about 2pm - 5:30pm. The winds were light & variable when I started then picked up from the ESE. Not sure wind was a factor where I was located though (that spot where I shot the pic of you & shortdrift a few yrs ago ;) ).

Normally when casting into a WB feeding frenzy they'll hit anywhere from a splash count to the bottom. Yesterday they weren't really busting the surface -- just a few boils here & there. They only seemed to want a yo-yo retrieve along the bottom.

10. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

terry,that's how we were getting lots on wednesday too.i also don't think wind is a big factor when the fish are at those depths,but pressure is moreso at anytime.looking at the weather history from sunday,the pressure had dropped from saturday and was lower later in the day when you were fishing.we fished that same area as well as other usually productive areas earlier saturday,with negative results.
    the wind comes into play when it pushes baitfish to shallow water,bringing the whites in for easy pickings.
    we've vertical jigged a bunch this year on fairly calm days.i usually am not a keeper of logs,but here are some things i've observed.
    high pressure=deeper water,suspended fish.
    falling/low pressure=cloud cover=shallow fish.
    low pressure+plus wind=more shallow/surface feeding.
    low pressure,clear skies,little wind=deep bottom feeding fish.
    those scenarios seem to be fairly consistent,but not 100% of the time.

11. Could those conditions apply to eyes also?
    You know me and I don`t know squat about eyes.
    Guess I`m gonna learn if I keep fishin Hoover a lot.;)

Oh thanks for the p m on twin bridges.

Gonna shoot for Tues. or Wed. this week.
    You busy? :D

I think trolling is an answer or at least one method
    for locating if there is no surface action on white bass.

Eyes, who knows?:confused:

Capt Hook

12. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i might be coerced into venturing out;)
    yes,same applies for eyes..............................sometimes:D
    those critters don't always play by the rules though:( ;)

13. SwollenGoat

Oh, here we go now. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately my schedule has not permitted me to fish this year as much as I have in the past. Also, I would like to point out that Hoover has been a stingy little thing all year (Unless you want whites or crappie).

Don't worry, I'll have my day as soon as this damn heat goes away!

14. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i heard that.almost 2 months in the house due to weather and surgery cost me a lot of time too.and even the regular eye guys have had a tough year due to a few uncontrollable factors.

15. SwollenGoat

Yea, also forgot to mention you won't see me on the water on a weekeday before 5:30pm - unless it's a holiday! :p :D

16. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

hopefully that will change ..................in another 20-30 years;)

17. SwollenGoat

Not likely - retirement age by then will be at least 75, and with my luck I'll live to see 74-1/2. :D