close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hoover tonight

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by leupy, Jun 23, 2007.

1. I will be fishing at Hoover this evening and at this point I will be by myself, If anyone would like to go I will be launching at the Walnut St. ramp at 6:30 pm I will fish the lower section of Hoover until about 9:30pm. Aguest or two would be welcome. The boat is a Northwood pontoon pulled by a F-150, tan OSU large sticker on tailgate. I anyone wants to go I will check this thread before I leave at5:45pm.

2. N o came and everyone didm't miss a thing. pulled three houre and never had a bite.

3. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

don't feel bad.swollengoat and i spent about 5 hours there yesterday with no more than a a little bluegil and a little flathead :(

4. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

Yup, Hoover is a cruel mistress this year.

5. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

actually it just plain sucks this year:D
    at leas when it comes to giving up saugeyes.

6. What is wrong with this lake? I have heard too many shad, poor water quality, we are not getting the stocking like we used to, decay, I spend three to 4 dats a week on this water and still cannot figure it out. I have had some decnt days but for the amount of time I am spending on it I should be doing much better. Is there anyone else who feels my pain? Open to any suggestions or new techniques.

Also why can't we as fisherman have a say in what goes on at Hoover. I know the city manages it but is there any forum we can use to voice our concerns.

I know of a city resevoir in Indiana where that is the case. They have a great fishery and the lake supports walleye and yellow perch. I know there is some yellow perch in Hoover I have caught them crappie fishing. I ask you have they been stocking them if not why? The lake is plenty deep enough to hold the fish. Why are they not trying to stock it with walleye to have a natural reproducing fishery? I have heard that in the early years Hoover was one of the finest inland walleye fisheries around. Has anyone caught any walleyes in the last few years.

It just seems to me that Indian Lake is getting alot of fish and us who love not to fight the bigger boats are getting the hose! :T

7. StuckAtHome

StuckAtHome Mad SOT YAKER!

All I know about Hoover , whick isn't alot, Is they used to stock walleye there, but I believe they were not doing that great, and mostly I think it was very expensive. When saugeyes became hot, the state found it cheaper to raise and they did better than walleye and are easier to catch(thats funny). Personally I think buckeye and Indian are about the same type of lake, shallow, fertile. Hoover is a flood control, drinking water lake with drastic watrer level changes and floods where indian doesn't get it as bad, and I think Hoover is deeper and the darn fish have a million places to go were you aren't.

8. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

big new.i don't have all the answers,but do have some ,as well as some theories.
    first on the walleyes.yes,it was a great walleye lake from the 50's through the 70's.i caught tons of them.but they quit stocking because natural reproduction proved to be very poor.saugeyes are much more cost efficiant than continually stocking walleyes that won't reproduce.
    they stock over 500,000 annualy,which is a lot of fish.
    indian lake is much larger than hoover,therefore they get more fish.also,it is a very fertile,"saugeye friendly" lake.
    when they stock the fingerlings they timing needs to be be right.there is a short window when food is available for them to get a good start till they're big eneough to feed on live prey.they can't change the timing of stocking for various reasons,but if weather conditions alter the timeline for growth of their primary food source,mortality is high,thus that year's poor survival will affect numbers of catchable fish in the following years.the fishing has been good to very good the past few years,and the change this year is no doubt a result of poor survival rates 2-3 years ago,due in large part to the above mentioned poor conditions,along with large harvests during those years,which would decrease the numbers of previous year classes.
    overall,hoover is a great fishery,albiet tough at times due to the nature of the lake.i.e.,fluctuating water levels based on rainfall/water usage.weed growth is minimal because water levels at certain times,drop,preventing or stopping growth.
    lots of perch there,but average size is small.i'm not sure of the anser to that,but it could possibly be that they are also a part of the saugeye diet,and habitat is not prime for perch.
    if we have another drought this year,the lake will shrink greatly,which will provide much less water for those fish to hide in,greatly increasing your chances of finding them:D

9. starcraft

starcraft Sponser MHS

Have not fished much at all this year mostly because the fishing has sucked since april and 90% of the crappie are small:) but i have an interesting story with an anglar last month at hoover about the eyes. I was coming towards my car from fishing had a decent strigner of fish. Older gentelmen stops me and ask where are all the eyes. Told him i have no clue he then tells me that there are none to very few left in hoover. :)

Last season alone he boated well over 300 saugeyes and his partner claims to have caught 1000 WOW!!!! This year he has yet to catch 1. Wonder why could it be hoover is being mistreated as far as the eyes goes. Dont know but catching that many fish and they dont reprouduce has to hurt some. Also with all the gar present how many of those little stockings make it without getting chomped? Thinking they in a area u guys are not fishing maybe its in that cave everyone talks about but cant find:p

10. littleking

littleking Crossing Lines LIKE A PRO

why are there no perch? no weedbeds
    hoover is a water retention reservoir, not a flood control reservoir
    stocking fish in a lake does not mean the fish are going to take hold and reproduce successfully

11. SwollenGoat

Lots of theories and thoughts, here are mine:

1. Hoover water quality was recently tested and found to be the best in central Ohio. Alum Creek was the worst in the test.

2. Hoover is NOT a flood control reservoir - primary use is for city of Columbus water supply. Major rains aside, they usually only let water flow when the tanks at the Hap Cremean water facility need it.

3. As a saugeye fisherman, I too would like to see the lake improve. However, bottom line is that it is a city water supply. Fishing is a secondary concern and always will be.

4. Larger saugeye at Hoover have a LOT to eat. Easy pickings on the shad. They don't have to look hard to find a meal.

5. Lots of crappie in Hoover, perhaps too many. I think there is too much competition in the 5"-8" range for that particular size food source which has stunted a lot of the growth in the crappies.

6. Stocking fish is more of an "art" than science. (I was told this by a person I trust and respect that has access to that type of information.) Saugeye are expensive to raise and as Misfit metioned, time of their release, and the available food source is critical to how many survive.

7. There are plenty of fish in Hoover, but there are conditions that make it difficult sometimes. Bass are often hard to catch because there are 3 bass tournaments held there every week. Catfish, gar and carp are abundant, no argument. Plenty of white bass, bluegill and crappie too - though sizes are smaller because of competion. (Probably would help to thin some of them out.) Perch are there, but they are competing for the same sized food as the crappie, bluegill and white bass. There are saugeye in Hoover, though they can be tough to catch. You do really have to be at the right time, the right place and using the correct methods. If I knew those 3 things every time I hit the lake, I'd limit every time. :D

Lastly, everything goes in cycles. I have to keep telling myself that. It can be very frustrating, but things are bound to improve. Till then, I have decided to fish other lakes and not dedicate so much time to Hoover.

12. I have also heard the type of dams at Delaware, Hoover and Alum Creek result in a certain percentage of the saugeye being washed through the dam at high water while the dams at Indian Lake and Buckeye Lake do not result in so many being washed through the dam at high water. Delaware has a worst problem with saugeye being washed over or through the dam at high water than Hoover and Alum which might be why you don't hear much about saugeye in Delaware Reservoir. Don't know what percentage are washed through the dam but that is also part of the puzzle.

13. "5. Lots of crappie in Hoover, perhaps too many. I think there is too much competition in the 5"-8" range for that particular size food source which has stunted a lot of the growth in the crappies."

I don't believe the crappie are stunted. They are in a cycle where the majority are smaller. Same thing happened about 5 - 7 years ago. Lots of small crappie. 2 years ago the average crappie size at Hoover was great - lots of fish in the 11"-13" range. Those fish have died off or been eaten. Now the dominant year class is the smaller fish. Another year or two and the quality will be what you want.

If there are so many shad that the saugeye are eating good, the crappie are doing the same thing.

Joel

14. SwollenGoat

Joel, I think they're smaller because there is not enough food to eat. At least not enough food with their size requirements. I feel the majority of the fish in that lake are all competing for the same size food. (Crappie, whitebass, perch and small saugeye.)

While I do believe the larger saugeye 10" and up are eating good..I don't believe the same holds true for the smaller fish.

Again, just my .02¢

15. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i doubt that is the case.i'll take you out catfishing some night after a hatch and show you how thick those little shad can be;)
    you can almost walk across the lake on them at times:D

16. SwollenGoat

You know how to get a hold of me...:D

17. Thanks for the info I knew where to come to get the scoop. I do however want to say that even though Hoover is a water retention res. we still should have certain pattern and fish movements consistent to water conditions. This is what stumps me. I will however try to target some perch this fall. The lake I was referrring to is in Muncie, Indiana (Prairie Creek Res.) very similiar in size and depth. Great fishery would love to take one of you there for some unreal perch fishing this fall.

Still will be fishing the Lake hard need to come up w/ a good name for Hoover.

18. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

they are pretty consistent year to year.locations may vary,but only due to changing water levels.they hold at certain depths,and when lake levels drop they will move to the preferred depth and similar structure.lake is down 4-5 feet now,which means the fish won't be near where they were found a month ago.also baitfish movements change,which is another factor in their movements.
    now may be a good time to start searching the flats in 8-14 feet.