Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a really good spring / early summer on the eyes for the first time fishing the lake in 20 years. A good mixed bag of dinks, 16's, 18-20's, and a few 23-24 during day bite, and 2 over 6lbs 26 inches on night bite.

Want to continue to understand the lake and associated daytime summer approach. Is it time to switch from cranks to harnesses? If so, I have historically found active saugeyes in shallow water, but I have noticed a lot of folks trolling deeper breaks slow with harnesses. I'm rigged for both and will try both to figure it out, but wondering what traditionally works best for folks if they want to share.

Thanks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Been wanting to work on my Eyes game. Have never really targeted them. How are you putting together your harness, if you don't mind my asking?

·
Registered
10,337 Posts
Had a really good spring / early summer on the eyes for the first time fishing the lake in 20 years. A good mixed bag of dinks, 16's, 18-20's, and a few 23-24 during day bite, and 2 over 6lbs 26 inches on night bite.

Want to continue to understand the lake and associated daytime summer approach. Is it time to switch from cranks to harnesses? If so, I have historically found active saugeyes in shallow water, but I have noticed a lot of folks trolling deeper breaks slow with harnesses. I'm rigged for both and will try both to figure it out, but wondering what traditionally works best for folks if they want to share.

Thanks.
Worm harnesses are very effective this time of year. And some days will out fish other techniques.
But with that said,a saugeyes main forage is still shad. And Hoover is not lacking shad. Plus you have all the crappie that hatched this year and bluegills. So I guess I'm saying cranks and or swimbaits could also out fish harnesses this time of year as well...
Here is how I would approach it. I'd rig up my rigging rods and have them ready for when things get tuff. They will get you bites. Try shallow work deep. If the deep bite slows,try working your way shallow again. Even if they are biting all day deep on harnesses,frequently check the shallows with your casting/trolling rods until you find out the peak times they are feeding shallow. Then note that and catch the best of both worlds, because like you said, they will actively feed shallow all summer long. It's just about figuring out when they are using the shallows. But for the most part you can force feed the deeper fish all day long.
I just like switching things up...
Good luck out there!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Been wanting to work on my Eyes game. Have never really targeted them. How are you putting together your harness, if you don't mind my asking?
I like to have about a 36 -40 inch florocarbon leader. Not too long where I cant reach fish with net extended. I use beads (3-4) above the clevis, and usually 4 beads below to keep the blade from hitting the top of the hook below the clevis. I like the clevis's where you can change blades quickly. I pre-rig multiple colored sets with beads and hook, and then just put in somewhat matching blades. I like # 4 colorado as my go to, but do switch around to # 3, willow, etc. I use inline chain sinkers above the harness for weight, and that varies between 5/8 to 1.5 oz dependent on how deep and speed ( for me I like about 1.6-2.00 ) I have always preferred single hook rigs vs double,,,, not sure why just seems like a better presentation.

·
Registered
380 Posts
If you are trying to learn which is best you may want to try both at once. Put a rod in a rod holder with a crankbait that is capable of diving about as deep as the active fish on your electronics. Then try a bottom bouncer with a harness on another. You can fish 2 rods per person. Let the fish tell you what they prefer. Let us know what they tell you. My preference is to troll crankbaits when the water is warm and fish seem to scatter across the flats and hold on the ends of main lake points. I can fish a bit faster with cranks than when pulling harnesses. If I need to get deeper I can add in-line weights or even fish cranks behind bottom bouncers. I don't like using live bait if I don't have to. Even though you will find a container of crawlers in my cooler most days. If my trolling reveals a concentration of fish then I can stop and cast to them. Hoover has big flats in all 3 sections of the lake and lots of points. During the summer the fish follow the shad. Share what you learn. I'm trying to figure it out too!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I’m in town from Utah and am gonna try a few of my old bank spots. I fished Hoover for 20+ years For saugeye and know a bunch of boat spots.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I could not find any keepers on Monday, but caught a few dinks. They seemed to have transitioned from my hot spots that were producing well earlier this month. On a side note I have caught 2 walleye there this year which gives me hope for for the future of Walleye at Hoover. Think I am going to try more flats and give some harnesses a go next time out.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I could not find any keepers on Monday, but caught a few dinks. They seemed to have transitioned from my hot spots that were producing well earlier this month. On a side note I have caught 2 walleye there this year which gives me hope for for the future of Walleye at Hoover. Think I am going to try more flats and give some harnesses a go next time out.
How big are walleye by now?

·
Banned
4,478 Posts
I’d love to go fish this eve. I’m leaving for Utah tomorrow
Hit me up if you want to fish
(614) 778-2839
Not going to be able to make it out tonight :(

I'll shoot you a text, though!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts