close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hoover saturday AM

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Capital outdoorsman, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Capital outdoorsman

Capital outdoorsman day late, dollar short

Let me start out by saying I went to gander on Friday and bought a new ultralight and reel. First time I've spent decent money on a rod and reel. Headed out for some post spawn crappie. Been on vacation so didn't know the lake had been drawn down. I hate that.

Water was 77 and all my favorite spots were no good anymore (now too shallow) so I headed for deep water. Tried many different depths with minnows and roadrunners, and beetle spins and could only managed dinks. Finally I headed to a bridge and was in about 30 fow. I was down about 10-12 feet or so and I didn't feel anything but I noticed my line moving sideways quite quickly so I set the hook. My new ultralight bent in half immediately. I started considering cutting the line before it breaks. But I had to see it. After a couple of minutes I finally got it to surface. A nice big ol snapping turtle. Here I thought I was going to catch one nice fish before I got home.:mad: It was hooked under the shell but I had to cut the line anyway cuz the bastard tried to take my hand off.

There's always next time.

2. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

try trolling open water now for crappies.roadrunners,small craks,vibes and spinners run at 6-12 feet in deeper water.also close to bottom 10-14 0n the flats.other places too find them are in deeper submerged wood in the coves.

3. TAG24

TAG24 Member

That's funny, I snagged a turttle last weekend at hoover with an ultralight. I thought I had a big catfish or something cause it kept swimming down. It's amazing how strong they are.

4. When I was in scouts, we caught a huge snapper using a large treble hook with a bullfrog on the end of it. Dang snapper went right for that frog. Actually used steel wire and broke cause the snapper was so heavy. I fished hoover up by the damn in my kayak yesterday evening. Only caught a dink cat. Kept hitting the coves, but nothin more.