Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
day late, dollar short
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start out by saying I went to gander on Friday and bought a new ultralight and reel. First time I've spent decent money on a rod and reel. Headed out for some post spawn crappie. Been on vacation so didn't know the lake had been drawn down. I hate that.

Water was 77 and all my favorite spots were no good anymore (now too shallow) so I headed for deep water. Tried many different depths with minnows and roadrunners, and beetle spins and could only managed dinks. Finally I headed to a bridge and was in about 30 fow. I was down about 10-12 feet or so and I didn't feel anything but I noticed my line moving sideways quite quickly so I set the hook. My new ultralight bent in half immediately. I started considering cutting the line before it breaks. But I had to see it. After a couple of minutes I finally got it to surface. A nice big ol snapping turtle. Here I thought I was going to catch one nice fish before I got home.:mad: It was hooked under the shell but I had to cut the line anyway cuz the bastard tried to take my hand off.

There's always next time.

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
try trolling open water now for crappies.roadrunners,small craks,vibes and spinners run at 6-12 feet in deeper water.also close to bottom 10-14 0n the flats.other places too find them are in deeper submerged wood in the coves.

·
466 Posts
That's funny, I snagged a turttle last weekend at hoover with an ultralight. I thought I had a big catfish or something cause it kept swimming down. It's amazing how strong they are.

·
Registered
18 Posts
When I was in scouts, we caught a huge snapper using a large treble hook with a bullfrog on the end of it. Dang snapper went right for that frog. Actually used steel wire and broke cause the snapper was so heavy. I fished hoover up by the damn in my kayak yesterday evening. Only caught a dink cat. Kept hitting the coves, but nothin more.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts