Hoover Report

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by Steelwolve, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Steelwolve

Steelwolve COCC- Director

My buddy and I have fished Hoover 4 times in the last week and a half, and man it has been ON! in 4 trips weve landed over 200 lbs of channels and the averege size has been over 6.5 lbs! with many in the 8-11lb range. Basically we drive around until we locate alot of large shad on the depth finder and set up with 5-7 inch whole fresh shad on the bottom. The bites have been non agressive bites and are hard to detect without tight lines. They have also been in all depths from 3 ft to 25 ft. We are still yet to catch 1 flathead out of Hoover, I know people have caught some but man they must be FEW and far between. Anyways heres some pics.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. katfish

katfish Cats are where it's at!

Me and Misfit got the drive all around hoover part down:D

3. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

till we had to beach the boat to get the light cord out of the prop:rolleyes::D
    i've been out of commision lately due to the weather,but the daytime fall bite should be on soon and i hope to put a few more hoover cats in the boat.
    nice fish,steelwolve.there are some really nice channels in hoover.

4. seethe303

seethe303 Senior Executive Member

hit Hoover tonight for a little bit... got skunked!

I was fishing shrimp, though.

its interesting you said the bites were very light, though, because more than once tonight I thought it seemed like something just picked up my bait and swam towards shore...the line went more limp than it should have been. then I would reel in and the shrimp would be mangled... *shrug* dunno... nothing I would consider a solid hit!

also, I was using a lighted bobber for a little bit on my 2nd rod, and when I would reel it in there were nice size shad jumping all over...

5. Steelwolve

Steelwolve COCC- Director

SEETHE303 Yea thats exactly how they have been biting for us, I have found holding the rod in hand as soon as you notice a slackup slowly reel in till it gets tighter ten wait for a slight tug and set em, or if it continues to slack reel in quick and nail em. I havent used shrimp at all this year since I learned how to throw a cast net, and Highly recomend fresh shad as my bait of choice. BTW Do you fish near Oxbow on the northern most point?

6. seethe303

seethe303 Senior Executive Member

haha yup, thats one of the spots I like to fish.

I have a castnet sitting in the basement, I just have yet to learn how to throw it. this will be a goal of mine before next spring: learn to throw a cast net