Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite the heat I thought I'd hit Hoover for a few hours yesterday to get some crappie for a weekend fish fry. I hit fish quickly...had 4 12" fish in the basket and released 2 small ones in the first, and only, 30 minutes. A storm brewed up just south of where I was and there was more lightening than I felt comfortable with. I released my fish (not worth the effort to clean) got my lines in and scooted my 12', 6hp lightening attractor back to the ramp by Sunbury road. The was a boat pulling out on the right side so I went to the left, but was restricted by about 7 or 8 guys standing on the dock fishing. As I approached I realized they were all had lines directly in front of me and didn't seem to car that I was pulling up. I yelled to them to move their lines because thats where I needed to go and they just stared at me. So I waved my hand to show them to move. Finally they reeled in. No sooner did I tie up to get my car than they casted over my boat to keep fishing. I struggled to push the boat far enough back to get my trailer under it because all of their lines were in my way and they seemed completely oblivious. So I tried to tell them they weren't allowed to be fishing from there. Its a boat dock, not a fishing pier. They stared at me. I came to realize they didn't speak english, and my spanish is limited to 'yo quiero un cerveza." They didn't want to give up there fishing spot because they had a stringer full of 8-10 inch catfish and I witnessed them pull several more up. I don't believe there is a minimum size for cats, but c'mon? I'm guessing they probably had a lot of people to feed though, which I know is me profiling, but I'm just playing the odds here. I tried looking up a number for a ranger on my phone after I got out of the water but by that point the lightening had run them off. Sorry for the rant but when its lightening all around and you can't get your boat out of the water because people are fishing over you from a spot they shouldn't be fishing from its frustrating. Does anyone know the number for the rangers so next time I don't have to waste time looking for the number? I'll just keep in on my phone. If I had to guess I also wouldn't be surprised if they were fishing without a license too. I know, shouldn't be profiling (which I'm hating myself for doing) but again it seems like a safe bet. Thanks gang.

·
Urban Angler
6,295 Posts
Columbus Police is NOT in charge of Hoover. Not trying to be rude, just want to get the right info out there. Watershed Management is also in charge of O'Shaughnessy.

City of Columbus Watershed Management is in charge of Hoover.
614-648-6019 is the Ranger Cell Phone.

For an Emergency, 911.

For other Law Enforcement Needs

South of Smothers Rd (Franklin County Sheriff and Townships): (614) 525-3333
North of Smothers Rd (Delaware County Sheriff and Townships): (740) 833-2800

Columbus Police is in charge of Griggs Law Enforcement (614-645-4545).

Westerville police DOES NOT deal with Hoover issues. Stick with the county.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I went to Caesars Creek last night catch shad and the sail boat ramp looked like it needed a few vendors it was so busy. Immigration woulda had a field day with that crowd!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Columbus Police is NOT in charge of Hoover. Not trying to be rude, just want to get the right info out there. Watershed Management is also in charge of O'Shaughnessy.

City of Columbus Watershed Management is in charge of Hoover.
614-648-6019 is the Ranger Cell Phone.

For an Emergency, 911.

For other Law Enforcement Needs

South of Smothers Rd (Franklin County Sheriff and Townships): (614) 525-3333
North of Smothers Rd (Delaware County Sheriff and Townships): (740) 833-2800

Columbus Police is in charge of Griggs Law Enforcement (614-645-4545).

Westerville police DOES NOT deal with Hoover issues. Stick with the county.
thanks for the proper info !!! I stand corrected, I thought the columbus police did handle that area .....sorry for putting out bad info ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts