Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Sponser MHS
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished this morning with a buddy of mine at hoover in the am. Fishing was good between us we caught around 40-50 crappie usual dinks but did get a few more keepers in the 11-12inch range that were black crappies. Seems they run a bit larger then the whites. Caught quite a few females still holding eggs. All fish caught in water only 5 feet but i was only fishing a foot.

Also for the catfisherman the channels are active and on the move. When the crappie bite slowed the channels had moved in had them on the run. In a very short spam of time i caught 3 almost back to back with one going close to 20 inches. Hooked one, never seen a catfish jump but it came up like it was a bass. Funny seeing a catfish jumping so high. There was very few anglars out;) but saw others with a couple of channels as well. Also seen a few leave empty handed:confused:

Went to the creek to see if the whitebass were running and saw none caught today. Sorry no pics today got home and batteries were dead in my cam.:(

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
You must have been fishing north, I fished mid section ES for a couple of hours until the rain got heavy. Bite was slow and sm.all I did clean nine whites, seven were females w/eggs. Also fishing 4-5 feet of water 1-2 ft deep using minnows

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
i know they are tasty guys, lets try to put some of those eggs back in there for the future, esp. some bigger ones! when i was a bank fisherman, like alot of the rest of them i kept alot of fish, now im fishin from the boat i find myself throwin some more back, but its easier to find em too..... im all for fillin the freezer but i also try to put some of em back in there for some fun in the next years.

·
Sponser MHS
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i know they are tasty guys, lets try to put some of those eggs back in there for the future, esp. some bigger ones! when i was a bank fisherman, like alot of the rest of them i kept alot of fish, now im fishin from the boat i find myself throwin some more back, but its easier to find em too..... im all for fillin the freezer but i also try to put some of em back in there for some fun in the next years.

I put back my fair share of fish everytime it least 20 throws backs. There is a high population of crappies at hoover dont think keeping a few will hurt anything.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I agree I just choose not to respond, length kept was not posted, I did think, I will think now and stay silent.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
thats cool most guys i know that fish there prob keep about 50-50! i stumbles across a guy up at oxbow the other day and i just politely asked on my way by if he was havin any luck, he said yea he had about 15 or so he then picked up a stringer full of dinks, i just kept on going avoiding a argument with the fellow, but if an odnr man wouldve seen that stringer.......

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
i just kept on going avoiding a argument with the fellow, but if an odnr man wouldve seen that stringer
you did the right thing,dan.no sense arguing with a guy over his legally caught fish;)
and the dnr guy wouldn't/couldn't help cause the guy wasn't breaking any laws.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
anyway, i started to put in at hoover this sun am, with the wind and white caps, figured if i could make it behind one of the islands it would be ok, but got the boat in and it was just too rough for me took some pretty good splashes over the back of the boat and had a lil water, so i pulled right back out.

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
LOL.i wish they would institute a minimum size,but there are plenty of fish and it doesn't hurt to thin some smaller ones out at times.but i don't keep anything less than 10" myself.
the wind kept me off the water today too:(

·
Sponser MHS
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah sometimes u see a bunch of dinks on stringers but its within the rules so nothing we can do. Keep mostly 8-12 inch fish myself. Today conditions looked tough so i stayed in. When i left yesterday the runoff was getting the spot muddy fast. But iam sure the channels were hiting after the rain.:)

·
Registered
274 Posts
i waded hoover friday, caught nothing but blacks, not a single white in the mix... they were hitting slow though
I fished on Friday and since I just use jigs, I had to break out the rainbow to get a bite. They settled on a chartreuse/orange fire tiger, but the bites were slow. I went again on Saturday morning and again the fire tiger was the only thing I could coax them to bite. About 2 hours before the rain came, they started hitting on a white grub pretty steady. So, I broke out the chartreuse/white 1/16 oz. road runner. The crappy absolutely started destroying it. My arm still hurts from casting and reeling in fish. I ended up keeping 25 and a chance channel. Can't estimate the number of fish I lost that I could see and the dinks that I tossed back. I kept only 9-11 inchers. The 9's were mostly pretty fat males or blacks. The 10 to 11's were mostly whites. No 12+ this time out.

Many males on the beds. Saw a lot of sticks moving, swirls in the shallows. Saw some females on the beds as well. And a huge one that I am scared to estimate how big she was. Put it like this, I thought it was a carp in the shallows until she turned and I saw her slim profile and white sides. My heart went into my throat. But she wasn't biting on anything I had to offer.

That cold rain seems to have taken them right off the beds and the bite again, though. Didn't even try on Sunday.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Took my bro'-in-law to hoover on sunday around noon. Put in at red bank after getting an excellent crappie report from a few boats coming off the lake. 2-4 fow. Action was fast if you didn't stay in one place too long. Ended up catching 25-30 and keeping 12 over 10". Pretty sure they were all males.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts