Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on taking some friends out for some bigger cats on thursday night. I was wondering if anyone had opinions on either lakes. I know the scioto produces some big ones.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I would suggest Alum and head to the North end, from St. Rt. 36/37 bridge to the Howard Rd. bridge. I have caught more cats in Alum than Hoover, but looking at the posts it seems Hoover seems to have picked more recently. Plus, when I am at Hoover I am not typically fishing for cats. I am not usually fishing for cats at Alum either, but I seem to hookup to them there all the time. Bring of variety of bait, and see which ones bring in the bite. If you do a search for Alum cats, I think most people are using cut up fish(bluegill,shad, etc.), chicken liver, hotdogs, corn meal, and nightcrawlers.

Actually, someone recently posted about catching cats on the south end of Alum, I would assume near the dam side. Check out that post, I think the heading is " Alum Catfish " by joshie126.

Where to go at Hoover, I do not know. Funny thing is, I fish more at Hoover than Alum, but know nothing about catching cats at Hoover. If you are fishing from shore try, around Red Bank Marina by Maxton and Sunbury. There are open areas to the right as you entering that maybe a good spot. The water can get deep if you cast it out far enough. Just a suggestion, no guarantees. I just see people fishing there all the time. Well, good luck out there and hope you guys catch some cats.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good looking out.

I've caught some smaller cats from hoover in the past 3-6lb range...all on shrimp and nightcrawlers. I've recently started using chicken liver and I caught a good dozen or so at griggs last night. All my fish are catch and release unless one of my buddies really wants to take 1 home.

I've only been to alum once and that was for some skunked muskie action.

I too have fished hoover at least twice a week for the past year but I have never fished for cats. it's always bass, crappie, and saugeyes.

If anything I will try out Hoover first and see my results again..then begin to learn alum.

·
Registered
201 Posts
good looking out.

I've caught some smaller cats from hoover in the past 3-6lb range...all on shrimp and nightcrawlers. I've recently started using chicken liver and I caught a good dozen or so at griggs last night. All my fish are catch and release unless one of my buddies really wants to take 1 home.

I've only been to alum once and that was for some skunked muskie action.

I too have fished hoover at least twice a week for the past year but I have never fished for cats. it's always bass, crappie, and saugeyes.

If anything I will try out Hoover first and see my results again..then begin to learn alum.
I have to give Griggs a try. When I go fishing for cats I fish for them at O'Shaunessy or at Kiser Lake. When I am at Hoover, I'm fishing for bass, crappie, and saugeye also. I have caught a couple good size yellow perch in Hoover this year. It had been several years when I last caught a yellow perch. And when I am at Alum, I'm trying for saugeye and crappie. I usually get my saugeye and crappie, but I will also get LM, small cats, white bass, mud puppies, bluegills, and turtles. I, however, have never caught muskie and really would like to bring one in one day.

I am a catch and release myself. However, if I want to keep it, I bring them to work and throw them into our pond for future fishing. Created a little stockpile as of recent. GL and enjoy.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am going to be heading out there tonight before the storm comes in. i'll post results when i get back....

i'll probably try out the red bank marina area.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so i got back around 2:30am.

i think the fish in the area were a lot smaller. i had 3 tight lines set up from the bank and the tips of the rods i put on a glowstick and bells. every good 10 minutes or so...the rod would bend and the bells would ring but once i got to the rods...they were back to normal. i am using a 3/0 team catfish circle hooks with semi frozen chicken livers. There was a guy about 60 yards from me catching some average size carp.

hopefully it pours tonight for thursday evening action.

overall results : skunked

·
Registered
201 Posts
so i got back around 2:30am.

i think the fish in the area were a lot smaller. i had 3 tight lines set up from the bank and the tips of the rods i put on a glowstick and bells. every good 10 minutes or so...the rod would bend and the bells would ring but once i got to the rods...they were back to normal. i am using a 3/0 team catfish circle hooks with semi frozen chicken livers. There was a guy about 60 yards from me catching some average size carp.

hopefully it pours tonight for thursday evening action.

overall results : skunked
Sorry to hear that you came up empty. We definitely got some rain today. You may just get your wish for tomorrow. Good Luck. Hope you get some big ones.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts