close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

hoover on sunday

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by striperfreak, Jun 9, 2008.

1. striperfreak

striperfreak stripes and smallies

Went out around 3 pm , wind was kicking so i decided to hold off on bass fishing and threw out 2 bass plugs hoping to get into something. A few minutes into trolling i see another boat lose a nice one at the boat, looked like a saugeye, i figure i may have made a good choice. After 30 miutes of trolling i hit a huge white bass, maybe 16 inches long and then another on the other rod. I turn around to make another pass at the whiteys and bust a 19 in saugeye. Needless to say i found me a hotspot, every pass for the next 2 hours pulls a whitey or a saugeye. If i was on the deeper side it was whitebass, shallow side , saugeye. I probably caught 10 whiteys, and 15 saugeye. All the saugeye were between 15 and 21 inches, nice eaters, though i threw them back yesterday. Best day on hoover for me at least for saugeye. I may have to share time with the bass over there which is what i usually fish for. Spent an hour bassin, no bites.

2. not looking for your spot...just the general area...I was in the LOTW's on sunday and was trolling a worm harness and got nothing...what were you using?

3. Wow Sriperfreak that is the best Hoover saugeye report I've seen in years. Congratulations. Can you give any general information - water depths? On the flats or dropoffs on edges of points/flats? Fish suspended or near the bottom? Great job. I've hit the white bass before with a saugeye or two mixed in but not those numbers.

4. striperfreak

striperfreak stripes and smallies

saugeyes were in 5-7 ft of water wind was blowing pretty good into a hump/ledge that came up from 30 fow. I was using a white crankbait, cotton cordell? i believe, mostly used for bass, fish were also at a change in water color from the waves hitting th shallow ledge. When the wind laid down the bite slowed immensely.

5. Thanks for the information striperfreak. I hit Hoover late afternoon last Friday when the wind was blowing good with small whitecaps on the lake. I decided to duck out the wind in a few coves and caught around 25 crappie with only every fifth one being a keeper of around 10". I've always heard to fish the wind blown shore but always found boat control a challenge when the wind is really blowing but I'll have to give trolling a try when those conditions arise again. I was fishing Cesear Creek a week ago Friday from shore when the wind was blowing waves in which brought flow around an island and caught around a dozen saugeyes but they were all 10" dinks ... likely stocked last year. There were some nice crappies mixed in with the saugeyes.