Ohio Game Fishing banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts
Me and my dad was fishing greenlawn about 20 years ago and there wasn't much action going on so we weren't really keeping a close eye on the poles. Without warning a carp yanked my dads pole in the water. I swear to you he actually ran on the water to get his pole and didn't actually sink till after he grabbed it. He was pissed off. His pole broke in half when he pulled it back. Even so, he still manage to get that carp in. He was bleeding in a few spots where the line had cut through his skin.

I forgot the size of the carp. All I remember was that it was huge.

after being so po'd yesterday,i think that maybe "idiot encounters" may actually be a healthy thing:D
i concluded this after the doc checked my blood pressure this morning and it was a perfect 120/63:D
normally it's quite a bit higher,even with meds,LOL.

here is a thought...

a super soaker.. filled w/ urine.....

Im looking for one particular sailboater out of Rocky river.... here on Erie....

I 'm ready..... yuppies, im ready for u ....

Frank

I'm considering the purchase of a paint-ball gun.

Not a good idea pointing a bow, fireing a flair, or boarding a boat. Good way to get your b-t shot. Lifes too short to put yourself in that position!!10-4?
Sounds like you never have run across one of those idoits...:D

I recommend keeping a super soaker water gun in your boat. Keep dousing them til they leave.

I know everyone's just exercising some internet bravado and joking around.
I know that because there's some very serious laws against harassing hunters and fishermen; very serious and not exclusive to fishermen harassing other fishermen.
Life's awefuly short to get popped by the law or shot by a jackarse when you are not the one in the wrong.
Just saying be mindful.

I know everyone's just exercising some internet bravado and joking around.
I know that because there's some very serious laws against harassing hunters and fishermen; very serious and not exclusive to fishermen harassing other fishermen.
Life's awefuly short to get popped by the law or shot by a jackarse when you are not the one in the wrong.
Just saying be mindful.
LOL...Oh we are mindful....Just when brought to the attention of the law, you hear that they didn't see it....LOL It's funny to hear that people will shoot and they will do something, when they won't just all hot air...lol...some of us do carry and have the permit so we can return the favor...LOL
It is true lots of people are brave and say things on the computer they won't say to people face....LOL

OK Pops,
I'm going to send you a ODNR ball cap. Keep it in the boat. The next time someone grabs your spot, Sport the cap and tell them to move along, this area is being sampled. :D

When we fish a lake and there are boats around we try to keep a low profile when taking the fish off. Maybe use a smaller, one handed net or no net at all. Most of the time we just sit back down, lean over the side and pull the fish in as fast as possible and unhook below the gunwale. When trolling we never stop once a fish is hooked. Just keep the rod low, reel it in and flop it into the boat as fast as possible. The ol' out of site, out of mind technique. Kinda takes the fun out of it not being able to whoop it up but unfortunately what happened to you guys has happen to many time to me.

Discussion starter · #34 ·
I never thought when I started this tread that I would get the response that it has.Misfit and I were trolling just one little area 50 ft long,we were actually doing more turning than anything else.We were going in a straight line over the same area and had been for nearly 2 hours.The fish were there holding tight on a drop off and had just started biting.The jerk came right at us,untangling his anchor rope and not steering his boat,he ran right into us,not us into him,he struck our 14 ft boat directly in the side with his bow.He was definately in the wrong and setup directly on our path we were trolling over 2 hours.Yes I realize maybe we should have dropped anchor right on it when we seen him coming and yes the lake is open to anyone,but once he failed to control his boat and struck ours he was wrong from than on.I had every right to defend us and our boat.I probably should have called the lake patrol and filed a accident report even with no damage just to inconvience his sorry arse.I guess this whole ordeal hit a nerve with alot of you as it's apparent similar incidents have happened to others but I think we need to start drawing a line in the sand when it comes to stupidty,ignorance and downright ill regards to others shown by these idiots.There is getting to be far too many of them for us to just let it slide.Anyone that knows me knows I don't fire up easily and would do anything for anyone to help but I am darn tired of others rude,arrogant,self-centered,stupidity and I for one am standing my ground from now on concerning them.When I meet the wrong one hopefully Misfit or a few others can advise when services will be.:p

corndog,i/we use those tricks at times,but they often don't work as well on small waters when a boat is within 100 yards and many times much less,watching every move you make.these are the type that do just that.they don't have a clue how to put fish in the boat,and when they think you do,they watch you like a hawk.hoover ain't no erie,and maybe 1/4 wide.
i don't mind at all,sharing space,and have even been known to invite people to pull right in next to me when i'm on fish,but when bozos like that pull in on me and even hit my boat(then ask if i'm catching any fish),proclaiming they have the right,i'm gonna be just a little less than my usual jolly old self.
then there's the clown who trolls a complete circle around me within 25 feet,flatining 100 feet of line while i'm drifting,hangs all my lines,pulls them in and cluelessly asks "do you mind if i cut your lines?":rolleyes:

son,send the hat,and aone of them there odnr badges too.
oh,and a couple valium wouldd also help:D

I hear ya misfit and PD, I have a 14’ w/ a 9.9 so most of my fishing is on inland lakes and like I said, I’ve been in that situation many times. Unfortunately any nimrod who can afford a boat can cast off without any knowledge of the rules or even any “on the water” common sense. What happened to you guy is becoming common place no mater what body of water you go to. Everyone agrees that you guys were wronged and supports your response to this jerk.

As far as “drawing a line in the sand” on these a-holes, I don’t know what can be done that will keep you on the right side of the law. I may speak out to someone who flatly crowds in on me with out asking, be it the river for steel or on the lake but more than not I'll just move on to another spot. Taking a picture of the bonehead and his boat and letting them know that you’ll be posting it on every fishing site you can find is a good start. The D.N.R can help as far as citing the richard cranium that ran into you guys for reckless operation but unfortunately I don't think that they can cite for being ignorant and rude.

A few Solutions
1. I like to make loud animal noises over and over and over
2. when ever they aren't looking, splash pole around in water to sound like fish on
3. make lots of groaning noises and grunts
4. yell at my partner and call him selfish etc(kinda like a fake argument)
5.catch em in their face and celebrate
6. never confront them, just wear them down

it's fun& rewarding
i'm very considerate on water, people rarely mess with me. when they do, i welcome it.

On your next misadventure, take a battery operated boom box and earplugs...pull your boat right up close to his, drop anchor, blast out some nasty arse rap music, put your ear plugs in and start fishing...if you're lucky enough to catch some, stick them in his face...but I doubt if he will stick around long with the boom box blasting away!!! When he leaves, you get your spot back...then its your choice if you leave the jams on! :D

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.