Hoover Mixed Bag

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by seethe303, Nov 4, 2007.

1. seethe303

seethe303 Senior Executive Member

Hit some riprap at Hoover last night (11/3) with Columbusslim31. We did pretty well, I think. I caught 7-8 nice crappie and 4 white bass. The white bass were all smallish but the crappie were mostly around 10 inches or better.

The fish of the night however, goes to Columbusslim31 for this beautiful smallmouth:

[​IMG]

It hit right by shore and I was standing behind Marshall unhooking a crappie when the water just exploded. I think it got both of our hearts pumpin.

2. What bait were you using?

3. Columbusslim31

Columbusslim31 Student of Finjitsu

We were both using 1/8 oz jigs and 3" twisters. Mine was milktruse. See_the_303 used chartruse.

4. Columbusslim31

Sure did. Definitely my biggest yet. It was the only fish I caught that night. I told John that I would be happy if I didn't catch another fish that night. :) Happy I remained.

5. seethe303

So I headed back to the same spot as last night, just for a little while, hoping to tie into some more crappie on my ultralight setup.

well, I didn't catch any crappie. I ended up fishing maybe an hour an twenty minutes but I caught 8 fish. 4 nice white bass, all over 12" one of which was my first vibe-e fish. 2 largemouth that went 14" and 15". they were a nice surprise on my light rod!

the highlight of my night was the two saugeye I caught. 16" and 19".

here is a pic of the bigger 'eye:

I kept the saugeye for dinner tomorrow, but I threw everything else back.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  6. Looks like you guys had a ball. Especially with the really nice SM and saugeye. Fishing this weekend was great and the weather couldn't have been better. Hope at least a couple more weeks are left. I've yet to catch a decent saugeye out of the lake this year.

7. Columbusslim31

Great job John!:D Man am I jealous I couldn't make it last night! :( At least now I know I have to just keep plugging that area for my first largemouth!

8. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

9. if you dont mind, what were those eyes hittin on....vibe also?

10. seethe303

nope, only got the 1 white bass on the vibe-e before it was lost to a snag. both eyes came on 1/8oz jig + chartreuse twisters

11. Arrrrgh! I was contemplating going to a chartreuse jig. But it was a little cloudy and I usually don't do well with clouds and chartreuse. And I caught a fat 17 1/2 inch SM, several WB and a few crappie on my trusty roadrunner and I was reluctant to make the switch. Might have upped my chances of getting that elusive saugeye that's avoided me all summer and now into the fall. But my old beat-up RR has been doing a number on everything else Hoover has to offer all year. It used to have a white tail. Now it's kinda brown and getting thin, but fish keep on trying to kill it and put it in their bellies.