close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hoover Flatheads

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by spidey, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Ok, I've been fishing Hoover since 1993. I've caught an untold number of channel cats while fishing for them or not. I was fishing for bass on Saturday, and as usual, caught some pretty nice size channels in addition to the bass I managed to connect with. And then there was this 2 pound hellion of a flathead. Shocked the crap out of me. I knew what it was, but was staring at it in disbelief for nearly five minutes doubting what I was looking at. Have flatheads always been there and I've just been living under a rock? If so, do they get as big as the river flatheads? Are they worth targetting?

2. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

They havn't been stocked, and are a remnant of Big Walnuts original flathead population. I would imagine there are some huge ones in there, but are probably pretty hard to locate/group. I hope that helps!

3. Yeah, it does. Thanks, Mushijobah. I'm just wondering why it took 14 years for me to accidentally catch one. But it looks like they are reproducing, so, I may try the north end of the lake one night with some sunfish or something. I haven't fished for flatheads since I left South Carolina.

4. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i haven't targeted them(i don't know why)but they've been in there forever,as mushi said,i've caught several smaller ones while saugeye fishing,but you can bet there are some nice ones in there,and they are caught.people just don't advertise it;)

5. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

Yeah, I managed one last year trolling a worm harness for 'eyes. Even a little 2 lb.-er puts up a heck of a fight. I imagine there are some big boys in there.

6. I have dropped a small number in on the way back from the Ohio. They are the best eating catfish there is no matter how large they get but don't eat the big ones you may have a fish twenty plus years to get there.

7. I've pulled in one flathead each of my last two trips to hoover, both better than 20 inches. My brother in law actually caught one on a spinner trying to catch some bass.

8. Leupy, just a heads up. I'm sure your heart was in the right place but transplanting fish from one body of water to another is not only illegal but you could have unwittingly transplanted a virus that the hoover/big walnut flatties have no immunity for.

9. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

Correct. It's a big no-no. Written clearly in the license regs.

CG

10. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

good point,terry.good intentions sometimes yield bad results.and hoover is by no means devoid of flatheads.as i mentioned,they're just not targeted by many and talked about less;)
    i should be spending my time chasing them instead of the crappies and eyes,but i don't eat them;)

11. Spidey There are some nice ones in Hoover i was fishing for white bass last year useing a Cicada lure on a ultra light and 6 Lb. test and BAM! The first one i ever caught at Hoover what a fight thought my forearm was going to explode before i got him to the boat ever bit of 30 plus pounds my net was not big enough for him and i have been fishing Hoover for over thirty years, i sure wont forget that one he is still swimming for someone else to catch. Tight Lines Fishguy