Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I'm starting to think about getting a fishing boat for Hoover. The research is just beginning and there isn't comprehension of when this event will happen. There is understanding a 10 horsepower motor is the max which essentially eliminates the fiberglass bass boat which is fine. I noticed that most people have aluminum boats anyway.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Possible entry level price?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already have a fishing kayak but there is interest to get motorized with a fish finder and trolling motor.

As for the total cost that I would be willing to pay. 2-3k would probably represent the preferred price range. I know the motor will cost at least 2k for a new one or I could be completely wrong.

·
Feared by all that swim
806 Posts
I have had a lot of boats so here is my 2 cents.Its really up to you on your preference and budget.if you are sticking to 9.9 lakes primarily than a light 16' flat bottom alum boat is ideal.They are stable and roomy for 2 guys and move 10-15mph which is good for small lakes.I have owned alum deep v's with 9.9's and they push a lot of water so don't expect more than 7-10 mph at best.Now if you fish a variety of lakes a boat with a bigger motor and a 9.9 next to it is nice.I could kick myself for selling that one.I do see some smaller glass boats with 9.9's which again will be slower but they are very stable,do well in wind and are generally cheaper because the aluminums are in higher demand around here.the next thing you need to look at is the motor.try to avoid old motors or ones that look abused or like they have sat around a long time.Theres nothing worse than pulling on an old junk motor at the boat ramp when you could be fishing.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
try to avoid old motors or ones that look abused or like they have sat around a long time.Theres nothing worse than pulling on an old junk motor at the boat ramp when you could be fishing.
I do not purchase used products typically. I like a new product with a warranty.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have a 14' aluminum flat bottom with a 9.9 and its floored, also has a deck up front with a trolling motor. I think its a great hoover boat.

·
2 min 30 sec from Hoover
537 Posts
You don't need to get too carried away with a hoover boat, and don't discount fiberglass, since glass is heavier it will be more stable. The speed limit is only 10 MPH in addition to the 10 horsepwer limit. You can't set and speed records on Hoover anyway. Don't discount used boats either. You can find a great used Hoover rig for 1/3 to 1/4 of what you'll spend on new. Small motors are easy to work on and maintain. Just my humble opinion.

·
Feared by all that swim
806 Posts
when you see the price of a little 16' boat with a 9.9 brand new you may change your mind but if you have the cash I would find a Lowe dealer and go talk to a salesman.You may want to hold off for late winter boat shows to look for a show special.

·
Feared by all that swim
806 Posts
I had never heard of 10 mph limit except at dark.I know alot of people that run 15 plus there all the time.Thanks for the info

·
Registered
721 Posts
10 MPH is listed but I am one of the few boats out there that runs around 10. Not many real 9.9 out there.

·
Feared by all that swim
806 Posts
I went to a tournament at logan last year and I was in a 16' flatbottom alum boat and when the tournament started I was left sitting still.One guy had a 14'er with a modded 9.9 and he was across the lake before I got on plane

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Greetings,

I'm starting to think about getting a fishing boat for Hoover. The research is just beginning and there isn't comprehension of when this event will happen. There is understanding a 10 horsepower motor is the max which essentially eliminates the fiberglass bass boat which is fine. I noticed that most people have aluminum boats anyway.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Possible entry level price?
Are you certain you will mostly be fishing only Hoover?

Is a larger boat with a bigger motor completely out of the question for you?

Reason I ask, is you can still fish Hoover with a larger boat that has a larger motor on it. You just can't use the gas motor there. That being said, I have fished and continue to fish Hoover once in a while, and with a healthy, fully-charged 24 volt trolling motor system it's not a problem to use the electric motor to fish/move around the lake if you stick to one pool.

There is nothing wrong with a smaller boat. It's just that you kinda made it sound like the only reason you wouldn't consider a fiberglass or aluminum bass boat or fishing boat with a bigger motor was because Hoover has a restriction on it. Lots of other lakes in the area to fish, and a bigger motor/boat will allow you to accelerate your learning curve a bit on some of the bigger waters + you will be able to venture out/about when the wind blows more so than with a smaller boat (a common occurrence in Ohio!)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts