close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hoover Dam

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Net, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Is it still off limits to operate a boat to within 100' (or so) of the riprap at the Hoover dam? Or is this just a seasonal regulation? I'm talking about the entire width of the lake -- not just the buoys in front of the spillway gates. Thanks.

2. flounder

flounder 2 min 30 sec from Hoover

There are none I am aware of except for the marked area around the spillway.

I have fished the riprap on either side of the spillway in that area several times over the course of the past few years and have not been told otherwise ;)

3. Thanks flounder. Now I'm really confused. I've only tried to fish the dam one time from a boat and that was a few summers ago. I was trolling toward the riprap on the far east end of the dam in broad daylight when some official looking guy on top of the dam with a bullhorn said I had to stay so many feet away from the dam. I gave him the universal signal for "how was I supposed to know that?". He said the entire dam (shore to shore) is off limits at the same distance from the dam as the spillway buoys. I yelled back that maybe they should place a few more buoys along the riprap to let people know that.

Alum Creek's dam also has spillway buoys, but the riprap is not off limits. I figured the City of Columbus has the right to do whatever they want with their lake. I just like to know the rules ahead of time.

4. flounder

flounder 2 min 30 sec from Hoover

I will talk to Gary Hannahs late next week. He works for watershed management at the office just off Sunbury road.

5. Flounder/Net : There are no restrictions for fishing the riprap on either side (east or west) of the spillway at Hoover Dam. Obviously, boating is restricted in front of the spillway to "outside" or north of the yellow safety barrels.

Gary Hannahs
    Watershed Management
    aka Capt'n Clueless

6. Thank you Gary for clearing that up. It's good to have folks like you aboard this site. Thanks also to flounder for your assistance.