close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hoover Dam

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Nickadams, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Nickadams

Nickadams goenfurshen

We're heading to Hoover dam to fish anyone catching anything and with what? Thanks

2. Nickadams

Nickadams goenfurshen

I tried to go to Red Bank at Hoover and I always use the bait shop as a landmark. I drove and drove and ended up on the other side of Hoover. Is Red Bank still there, and if not is the ramp still open? Didn't catch anything on the East side of Hoover btw.

3. Phil Carver

Phil Carver Team Bass Xtreme

The bait shop was still there the other day when I went by . I dont know if they are going to tear it down after the new building is finished though . By the way , its not that hard to find Adam ! :D

4. You're right, the Red Bank bait shop is kind of hard to see now that they demolished it :eek:. I was turning right onto Sunbury Rd from Maxtown Rd today and almost caused a wreck as I did a triple take.

5. Nickadams

Nickadams goenfurshen

Man, I will miss the bait shop but I am glad that I didn't have my head that far up my you know what as to miss that big red building :) I was thinking it was taking an awfully long time to get there. See Phil, I am not that bad off
    :D

6. I fished the ramp the other day for about an hour before dark... not much happening there. Caught a few small dinks.. I think the Alum Docks are a lot better than Hoover.. For whatever reason. There is a place on the otherside of Central College that has an old Road bed, the road dead ends.. I have been picking up some nice eyes there right before dark.
    If you know where I mean, it might be worth checking out. Just hope the wind isn't from the northwest...bbbbrrr.

7. I went to Hoover last Saturday (first time this year). Something told me to stop at the Old Dutchman to get bait...but I didn't. I always liked getting bait there at Red Banc.

After a long drive back to/from O.D., I got on the water around noon (argh!). Caught an 'eye on the first pass (bouncer+crawler harness), then a few perch & bluegill. The skies cleared & wind turned to Northerly--fishing shut down. I managed another 'eye around 5 pm.

Going back Saturday (if I behave)...

8. that road, is it by the house with the helecopter pad?

9. I fished the Lake Of The Woods area Monday morning and C&R 8 saugeye between 11" and 18", several crappie one small smallie, 3 LM bass, 1-2# and finally a 21" channel cat. All on a 1/4 oz. chart. Cicada by Reef Runner. I cast it out and work it across bottom. Awesome lure.

10. Fished Saturday from 6:30 am until 2:30 pm. I had to go "Postal"--rain, hail, dead of night :eek:

I had trouble keeping boat under control (no drift sock--yet); drifting was too fast and anchoring was difficult and not very productive. Any way, I only managed 1 dinky 'eye, 2 LMB, 1 WB, 1 crappie. All came on gold Hopkins, nothing on jig or rig (N/C or minnow). I should've trolled 3-ways with bait or cranks but I really wanted to go vertical since bouncers & crawler harnesses only produced a few fish last week.

Lots of shad up high...Perhaps the hail caught them off guard enough to get a shad kill bite going this week...??? I'll try again this Saturday...

11. I've seen this posted several times but I don't know where it is. I don't see anything on the Hoover map. Ca nsomeone please tell me where it is located? Thanks.

12. It's the large bay on the east side of the reservoir in the middle 1/3rd of the lake. It's directly across from the boat ramp at Mackstown Rd. (west shore). Another way to find it is to look for the traffic jam :D