hoover crappies ....thursday 4/17

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by misfit, Apr 17, 2008.

1. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

headed for hoover today,to meet up with shaun frame again.he got an early start,and located some active fish before picking me up at the ramp.we then headed back across the lake,and began working the are with tubes and of course,i had to tie on a roadrunner.we(actually shaun)soon got into the fish.
    being the stubborn,show me guy that i am,i insisted on trying all my favorite colors,while shaun stuck with a lime chart. pattern.this tactic proved to be my downfall,only producing an occasional fish while mr. frame pulled fish slowly,but methdically from the depths.i know crappies can get picky when it comes to color,but since i was without the magic potion,i believed i could find something in my bag that they would like.nothing seemed to produce more than one or two occasional fish,shaun more than once,offered to share the flavor of the day,but no,i had to prove somethng to myself:rolleyes:
    finally,i thought rather than throw him in the lake out of frustration,i would swallow my pride and take his offering.tied the magic bait on,dropped it to the proper depth and....BAM,fish on before i could lay my rod down:)
    by this time there was no chance of evening the score,but at least i made a respectable showing.
    at days end,the livewell was almost overflowing with 9-12 1/2 inch ,with maybe only a dozen dinks released.
    as mentionedalmost all fish came by drifting/trolling lime chart tubes on the long rods.all but a handful came from the same spot,and were holding at 18 feet in 20-24 feet of water.
    thanks again shaun,for a fun day.and don't forget to mount a pointer to the livewell before the next trip:rolleyes:

2. Shaun Frame

Shaun Frame Hoover Speck Remover

Your quite welcome Rick, I enjoyed your company.

There were a few more under the hatch than we thought; 77 crappies, and 5 white bass. Average length of the crappies overall was right about 10", 16 were 11" +, and 4 fish 12"+
    Momma Hoover is in good health. Growth rates look excellent for the class of 2005.

The darn things filled up 2 pickle buckets, and I'm only about 3/4 through knifin' on the first one.....I better get back at it.

Take care....

3. Going to fish Hoover in the morning on friday for some crappie. Unfortunately I am stuck on the bank. I usually fish by the 2 bridges off of sunbury but have not had luck the past 2 seasons. Is there better fishing up the creek from there? If anyone knows of a better bank spot to catch a few crappie I would greatly appreciate the info. And if you dont want every one knowing the spot you could email me at ferg69007@yahoo.com. I only keep what I can eat that night. And if anyone else sees me on the bank tomorrow feel free to give me and my old dog a shout.

4. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

Rick, don't feel too bad. Shaun definitely has the crappie thing down to a science. I know I too can say I've learned a lot from his methods. Glad to hear you two had some luck - now just need to see if that holds up for the OGF Crappie Tourney. :D

5. littleking

littleking Crossing Lines LIKE A PRO

sounds like a great time! rick ask shaun about me holding out with my favorite bait :) i'm more stubborn than most, but a few hours of lifting the stupid livewell lid for him and i'm switching baits!

frame, we fried some more fish last night, needless to say me, sean, his son hunter and my wife april put a hurtin on them:)

6. sure do miss the GFO days, seemed to be a little more help back then, well thanks anyways. Dont always have to keep 70+ for a good day on the water, for some its just the experience, the water, and a day off with the dog.

7. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

yikes!i knew we had a mess,but i guess we had more fun than i thought:D
    and i forgot about the white bass.
    sean,though mr. frame is a very good at the crappie game,it wasn't so much his technique,as we both fish pretty much the same way and i've been know to put a few fish in the boat myself;)
    i'm sure not taking anything away from him,but it was just one of those days when they had a taste for one particular color that i just didn't happen to have:(
    not just green,but the one green that i didn't have:rolleyes:
    and i got stuck on stupid,trying to change their mind,LOL.we tried tipping the jigs with minnies,but they basically turned their noses up at them for the most part.
    now for the last excuse;)
    you know what they say about the front seat advantage:D

8. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

sorry you're living in the past.in fact gfo is still alive if you prefer to visit there;)
    and no,people don't always have to keep that many,and it's not an every day occurance.but neither i nor anyone else has to justify our actions/reasons to the fish police.so don't pose a question at 1:00 a.m. and come back 6 hours later,hijacking this thread because you didn't get an instant answer while we were sleeping,and tell me what i do and do not have to do.
    sorry the details i posted weren't satisfactory,but it's the bet i could do without putting an X on the bottom of the boat:(
    now for bank fishing.the bridges are a good start.vary the depth of your bait from a few feet,down to 16-18 feet.the fish can be holding anywhere in between,depending on conditions.with the warm,sunny weather,there could be some real shallow fish also.
    now,being stuck on the bank,your best chance at getting numbers is coming with the spawn.for more suggestions on particular spots,feel free to shoot me a pm.

9. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

LOL, I wasn't taking a jab at your crappie skills Rick - perhaps I should have admitted that I too have tried to "persuade" them to take other baits while out with Shaun. For some reason, Shaun just knows what they're in the mood for. :confused:

Oh and believe me I know all about the "front seat advantage".;) LK often mumbles from the back about me operating the trolling motor at the most inconvenient moments. Perhaps thats why I can't seem to get Shaun to go out with me on my boat. :confused: :D

10. ABE

ABE

I found them in almost exactly the same place at Delaware yesterday evening. 15-17 fow suspended at about 12ft. i didn't get on them until about an hour before dark but when i did we caught about 30. They were hungry,hammering jigs with nibbles and minnows the same. I was really impressed with the size of the fish this year. Last year the 9-10 inchers i caught were all real skinny and short. All the ones a i caught yesterday were thick and tall similar to fish ive caught in Indian and Grand lake. There were only 2 or 3 that would have been to short if i were keeping any. Last year it seemed like i would go through 10 or 20 to get a keeper.

11. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

LOL.well,i promise to not complain from the back of your boat:D

he just gets lucky,cause he only uses that one color:D;)

12. Front seat advantage my foot. :mad: Whenever I was with Rick in the front seat I hardly ever caught fish. All I ever heard was "Can't you troll in a straight line? Are you going to catch any fish? Can you get the net?" :D

Congrats on the good day guys.

13. littleking

littleking Crossing Lines LIKE A PRO

if you need to beat the bank, dont be afraid to get in the water. i've caught TONS of crappie wading this time of the year.

14. Capital outdoorsman

Capital outdoorsman day late, dollar short

Man, what am I doing wrong? Was at Hoover for about 3 hrs last night. Hammering depths of 18-30 ft as I was told they were still deep. Tried about 12 different spots with minnows and roadrunners and caught 4 fish (all dinks). Guess I should've got out the tubes.

15. seethe303

seethe303 Senior Executive Member

I believe I will be at Hoover this evening, fishing for crappie and cats. from shore. Hopefully I can catch my first fish of 2008 lol.

16. Misfit, littleking, swollengoat, et al really know how to get fish out of Hoover. I'm a dink and dunker. I have good days, bad days and worse days. But what I've been finding this year is that I've caught the biggest fish shallower than the columns of holding fish. I'm not saying this is science. I just go with what works at the time.

For instance, 3 weeks ago, after the rains that stained the water pretty good, I was getting a kink out of my line and let a rattle trap dangle in the water about 6 inches down. I get the kink out, and get ready to drop it to 15 ft and I have a 12.5 inch crappie on the end of my line. Go figure. The water was in the 40's at the time. So I fished shallow and pulled out 4 more fish that ranged from 10 to 12 inches. That seems to defy fish logic to me.

I don't pretend to understand crappie. I caught nary a fish casting yesterday. They didn't even bite when I actively jigged. I just had to let a roadrunner and a hair jig dangle in the water about 6 feet deep before I even got a nibble. And my new (well, new to me) slab killing crankbaits came up empty. The first time out this year that the cranks didn't get a hit. I also didn't manage a single crappie over 10.5 inches. That's also a first this year. I just caught more(12) than my tough day of 2 fish. But the good part is nature is about to take over and take the guess work out of where to find these little delectable fish.

17. seethe303

seethe303 Senior Executive Member

fished a spot on the north end of hoover today, along with a number of other people. I caught two crappie, and columbusslim31 and his wife caught four between the two of them. there was a group next to us that were killin 'em though. I think I saw 20+ crappie caught. they were right on top of the brush. some of the fish were coming from open water, but all of mine came 5-6 inches at most from brush.

18. Shaun Frame

Shaun Frame Hoover Speck Remover

I tried to meet up with "Dallaspaco" today for a liyyle fishing but it didn't work out; couldn't get away away until 4:30.....sorry Shane

I got the boat in by about 5pm, ran straight across from red bank and fished untl 7:45 near the mouth of LOW cove. kept 21. all came out of 24 to 33 feet of water and were suspended about 15' deep. Tube jigs fished "dead stick", no action at all at 15' did the trick Bblack/red, smoke/chart. worked the best.

Rick, I Bagged up some of those fish for you buddy. Do you want me to throw them in my freezer to keep, or leave some thawed for fresh "seever snacks" ?
    [​IMG]

19. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i like mine frozen,thank you.
    those look too good:D

20. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

I actually thought Misfit was rather forth coming with information, not holding anything back in my book short of the GPS Coordinates :D

I'm going crappie fishing at a quarry tomorrow in Central Ohio, was trying to find some info that might help me tomorrow about what other guys in that neck of the woods were doing to catch crappies. Misfits post will probably help me out alot tomorrow :)