close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

hoover crappie

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by dfoxfish, May 1, 2004.

1. dfoxfish

dfoxfish chairbustintruckdrowner

been posting my catches on gfo. then found out all the fish fans i used to know are here at ogf. i've been reading on gfo about sporadic crappies on hoover fishing in the deeper waters. i've been fishing the shallow brush north of the last bridge,(baldridge ramp). sitting in 5' water fishing into the brush, my neighbor and i have done real well. haven't been skunked, yet. in the past week and 1/2, it has gotten better each time. also getting alot of c. kitties. 2 have been in the 5# range. crappies have ranged 9" to 12.5 inches. most were 10 to 11". they've been timid, and just lipping the bait. i found it best to let them take the bobber down for a while, pick up the slack, then when i see my line going out, set the hook. i'm using a slip bobber at about 15" deep. last couple of times, they really turned on 45 min. before dusk. bass minnows have been my only bait. tried a little jigging with jelly bellies, but there's too many snags you can't see for the stained water. gonna storm tonight, so i'll hafta settle for catching a buzz,(seagrams and long neck bud lite). maybe tomorrow will fare better. i feel the itch for fishing!! :D

2. got out today (bad idea) for me and my alum.boat seen calmer days on the atlantic in my florida days. but found refuge in the coves but not the bass,skunked again but thats not news to the hoover folks. any of u bank guys do any catchun?

3. dfoxfish

let my neighbors kid use my boat for hoover sun. figured the cold front moved the crappie out of the brush, so i opted to stay home. i don't know how he does it, but they brought home 22 keepers up to 13". 45 degrees and windy as heck, they found them in the brush. :confused: next time, i'll get out my winter coat and go! :eek:

4. I was fishing hoover on Saturday around the twin bridges area. All the crappie I caught were in 16' of water 6' to 8' down. I tried alot of brush piles but didn't find them there. Maybe it has to do with the north end warming up faster.

5. dfoxfish

sounds like you're boat fishing, so i recommend going north. we did not expect to be doing as well as we have. we just tried fishing old favorite spots, and the fish are there. not seeing them on depth finder as they seem to be hanging inside the brush. also, it might be an hour or two til the first bite. they bite real timid most of the time. i can sit in my boat for hours in the same spot. sooner or later they start biting. i only use bass minnows on a slide bobber 15" deep. also catching c. kitties the same way. i'll be up there tomorrow hoping this way still works. baldridge ramp. :D

6. I probably won't be able to get out again till Friday or Saturday, but I may try moving north. I know what you mean about sitting for a while without getting a bite. I was out there for two hours on Saturday before I got my first bite. The next two hours I had a lot of fun putting crappie in the boat. Most were only lipping the minnows, but there were a few that hammered them. I think the whole lake will turn on real soon. Hope to see you on the water sometime.

Rob

7. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

hey danno.so you finally got ya a kicker :cool:
    i'll be up north tomorrow(wednesday).
    if you're gonna be there,let me know,and i'll look for you.probably go around noon and stay till 8 or so.launching from baldridge.

ps.........let me know how you do today.

8. dfoxfish

:D what's up, buddy? my bud neil finally put his 9.9 on my boat. he found out why his 300.00 boat was so cheap...floatation is water logged. we've cut out the floor and dug out the old foam. water logged was an understatement! :eek: went up last night, the crappies are still in the brush. catching 12 and 13" regularly. caught alot of c. kitties the same way. the biggest were 2 5# and last night a hog weighing over 9# on a digital scale. maybe i'll be up there tonight. having funds trouble is the only reason if i don't go. unemployment is not enough. remember, i worked for big bear. look for my blue tri-haul with double rudes hanging off the back. :)