close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hoover cats 7/11

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by FINMAN, Jul 11, 2004.

1. FINMAN

FINMAN Old Junior Member

Muskeye & me trying for the eye bite late sat nite. No luck. Gave up on em about 230 Sunday and started catfishing with crawlers. I tried snagging shad with a treble... luckily they were happy with the worms. Fished real shallow points, anchored in 2.5 feet, casting to 1.5 - 2 ft. Shallow bobbers kept our bait off the rocks, and didn't seem to bother the cats.

Muskeye nodded off at the trolling motor once or twice. We would just start to make some ridiculous maneuver, and suddenly he'd throw his arms and legs out like he was in the middle of a big fall. Both wives called around 7 to tell us we were idiots. packed it in about 830 am. I'm getting too old to do this up all day-up all night-try to accomplish somthing the next day-thing.

-Dave

2. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

that's why i don't have a cell phone :rolleyes:
    i just wait till i get home,when my wife tells me i'm i'm not only an idiot,but also a stupid dumbarse :rolleyes:
    and i don't get a monthly bill for it ;)

and you ain't that old yet.i can still manage a 48 hour marathon on occasion(after which the wife has even more choice names for me ;) )but the only thing i accomplish afterwards is wearing out the recliner for another 48 hours ;)

3. It'll be a while before I do the all-nighter again. 3 1/2 hrs sleep just don't get it. Fins got a nice 12-14 lb. channel, heck of a fight. Beautiful night, we watched lightening most of the night skirt around us to the far east/northeast, never threatened our position.

Misfit, another post from you was asking input from other members into lack of catching big fish at Hoover. With the huge packs of perfect sized shad that we observed roaming the lake, under the cloak of darkness, those saugeye could chow down and gourge themselves all night long and contently lay about during the day. "Matching the hatch" next time we venture out on an all-nighter would be our best bet. Very slowww strolling with a chub, sucker, or shad, previously mentioned by "Net", makes alot of sense.

Dave, I wasn't nodding off, I've read that erratic boat control can sometimes trigger the bite and this is best accomplished with eyes closed.

Rick

4. katfish

katfish Cats are where it's at!

Ha :) Ha:)

Can you hear me now?

Fortunately I forget to take a cell phone in a boat with me.
    I know I have dropped far more expensive items in the lakes but since I can't call Misfit I don't see any use to carry it ;)

Don't pay the ransom honey I've escaped!

5. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

nice channel cat.there are some nice ones caught out of hoover.
    i'm sure the recent shad hatch has an effect on the eyes.i've seen many clouds of them the last few trips.and being as bigger fish do tend to take to feeding at night,i'd say it would be the best time to hang a hog in the shallows.
    in the 60's and 70's,i caught many a walleye fishing suckers and chubs along the shores at night.
    under the current company poicy implemented by management,it's tough for me to slip away in the night,to fish alone though :rolleyes: ;)

robby,she's come to realize that i always make my escape,eventually.sometimes it just takes me longer than others :D

6. FINMAN

FINMAN Old Junior Member

THink I'll slide back up there afterwork Wednesday. 5 pm is a tough time to travel to Hoover from downtown, especially since they closed Dempsey. Maybe I'll take County Line Rd... I'll certainly take alternative route suggestions. 670 to 270 to 161 to Sunbury sucks that time of day.

I'll be in my brown 16' Smokercraft Big Fish with white 9.9 Johnson... with the cast net this time!

7. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

fins,i don't think there is an EASY route that time of day :eek:
    county line may be as good as any alternate,but it probably ain't no pic-a-nic either.i dobt morse would be any better.:rolleyes:
    with all the traffic on sunbury,it'll be a challenge just crossing to red bank ;)
    if i have the boat re-rigged and ready i might be there also,barring any unknown plans by the "boss" :rolleyes:
    i gotta rember to keep the cast net in the boat.there's not much bait in my garage,lol.