close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hoover Carp?

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Tornichio, May 3, 2004.

1. I was planning on giving hoover a serious try for carp fishing this year. I have never tried fishing for carp there before, but I fished with zfish last year and saw some really nice ones jumping around. Could any of you guys that fish this lake regularly point me in the right direction for places to try fishing. I am a catch and release guy. I have a good feeling about this lake holding some monsters in it. I hope to give it a serious go this year.

Thanks,
    Marc

2. dfoxfish

dfoxfish chairbustintruckdrowner

large carp are plentiful in hoover. a couple of the best baits i've used in hoover were wheaties and anise (licorice) flavored doughs. in the past, before i owned a boat, my best spots were on the west side along the open bank within sight of the dam. hope this helps. :D

3. Hoover is definitely a lake I've been wanting to try...seems like a perfect big carp lake. Like you, though, i don't really know where to start as far as fishing for them. I've yet to fish it because i usually end up fishing Alum Creek if I head up that way, but it's a lake i'm interested in. Might have to give it a try this year...

4. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

CW and Torch.......I have a few ideas. MIght take a boatride to find the exact ledges I'm looking for. They do exist though, I promise you that ;)

5. thanks guys for the information. This lake screams 40lbs + fish to me. I have seen some nice ones jumping out of the water before. I am waiting till a little later in the year since the lake is so deep it takes longer to warm up. My plans are to fish the rivers near my house untill they get to warm then move over to hoover. I have done a little scouting earlier in the year. If you guys want to do some fishing let me know. I will keep you posted with my results.

Thanks again

6. Zfish

Zfish More Horsepower Raider!!

Hey man hows things going. Im sure I could point you in a few directions. Although if you do have a boat I could give you a couple better places to try ;) A lot of the places I fish there dont have real good bank acess but I'll keep an eye out.. Im sure I'll find me a little john boat again to get me around soon.

7. skipjack11

skipjack11 retread member

Do you remember "Fishin Hole"with host Jerry McKinnis or McGinnis? He had a nation wide TV show and about 8 Years ago did a show on carp fishing on Hoover with a group from a local barber shop as I remember.They bank fished I think in the upper end.

8. StuckAtHome

StuckAtHome Mad SOT YAKER!

I remember that show also, I thought they were fishing Olentangy for the carp, north side of columbus I believe, N of 270.

I would try near the duck pond for huge carp also, all of those duck people throw enough food in the water for some huge carp.

Good Luck!
    Mike

9. I think it was the Olentangy too. There were some carp in the shallows in the north end yesterday evening. Might have been more carp than crappie judging by the number of crappie I caught. :confused:

Joel

10. That was Daves barbershop, in uptown Westerville.