Hoover Bass???

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by grizzly70, Apr 28, 2008.

1. grizzly70

grizzly70 BITE-ME

If anyone could chime in about bass fishing at hoover that would be great. i have never fished it and i have a bass tourney there on sunday. thanks.

2. haha, good luck! hoover is a tricky bass lake. i do know of some guys that have alot of experience on that lake and they do have some patterns figured out for the bass. but for the average angler, like myself for example, i do pretty well at other lakes in central ohio but that hoover really kicks my @$$. the bass at hoover do not respond like the bass at alum, oshay, griggs, and this is all in my opinion of course....so once again good luck. p.s. fish the rocks!

3. littleking

littleking Crossing Lines LIKE A PRO

lets see, there are 6-8 bass tourney's there a week. thats what you have to compete with.

4. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

actually there are only 3 tourneys a week,and that has nothing to do with the bass pattern;)
    you just have to know the patterns for the lake,but this time of year,beating the banks will work much better than later in the season;)

5. It's been a few years for me since I've been there, but there is a place that you can get to (we put a canoe in right there) with a sunken road. I tossed a chart twister tail and pulled it pretty slowly across the bottom. I got a hold of a really nice one there. We fished for crappies the rest of the day, so I'm not sure if that is a good spot or an unlucky bass. :p

6. several of those roads up north, good spots, although almost all of hoover looks "fishy" with trees down, brush in the water, riprap rocks, islands/some visible, some submerged, underwater concrete walls, boat docks, bridges, oh and a few stumps,once again some visible, most submerged,....maybe a 1000 of them!!!!!!!! all of this is a good place to start hehehe

7. Capital outdoorsman

Capital outdoorsman day late, dollar short

I don't fish it for bass but I have caught some nice ones there. I can tell you that I see a lot of bass fishermen hitting the northeast shorelines pretty good. From Red bank all the way up.

8. Everything I've heard so far is that the bass are not locked on beds yet. The upcoming cold front they're calling for this weekend may very well push them back into deeper secondary points, maybe even as far back and deep into primary points. Hoover is one of the deeper lakes in this area, which can be good or bad depending on how severe this front is. IMO the smallmouth in Hoover might be a good target fish this time of year, and I would stay just south of Red Bank and look for deep points and breaklines to fish, believe me there's plenty of them in there! Deep cranks and Carolina rig would be my primary presentations. The shallows would be my second plan however the Carp on on shore now tearing up shorelines too as are the Gar. Hope this heps.

9. grizzly70

grizzly70 BITE-ME

thanks guys, what is the water clarity like?

10. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

a little murky,as it is most of the time.probably maybe 2 feet vis.

11. starcraft

starcraft Sponser MHS

If u can find any deep weeds i say try there. Myself always get lucky off the points next to deep water.

12. all joking aside, a few guys i know that have done well on hoover consistently, were guys that did well fishing for deeper bass, off points and underwater breaks and such. i have had limited success pitching to the visble cover in the shallows, im sure there is a time for that on hoover, i havent expereinced that time haha! if i had to go there today, as wolfhook said, fish plastics, jigs and cranks on deep points and dropoffs for smallies and if that doesnt work hit the stumps in the shallows and hope for the best!!!! good luck

13. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

that time is now;)
    seriously,for the next several weeks,into june,the shallow bite can be awesome if you work at it.they might pull out with fronts now and then,but they'll be there.even summer months early mornings are good.but you're dead on with the deep fish,especially early spring and in the sumer months.that's exactly why people complain when beating the shallows with limited success.learn to fish deep structure and some nice fish can be caught.hoover is not like othe typical bass lakes,so you have to adapt.

14. striperfreak

striperfreak stripes and smallies

Hoover has a great bass population. I would concentrate shallow right now, shallow areas next to deep water. I am still trying to figure out how to catch them come summer.

15. My buddy and I caught 6 LM on Hoover on Sunday. All small.

16. ice ohio

ice ohio Banned

I went to fish for crappie and caught the biggest bass of my lifetime. I could not catch the big crappies in the bushes so i went to flip some cover for bass.

I fished for about an hour with no luck and then caught one keeper so i fished to the next creek. I landed a 3 pound male and 10 feet later i pitch in and i see this huge fish shoot out and i thought i had hit a carp and the noticed that my bait was 4 feet from the target. i set the hook and had a large mouth close to 7lbs.

What makes this so great was i left my cell phone in the car and could not get a picture and fished by myself because no one returned my calll to fish. So i will have to enjoy it myself. What a fish. I cant seem to get that type of bite in a tourny but it was exciting.

Ice Ohio

17. striperfreak

striperfreak stripes and smallies

i fished on tuesday evening. I caught 4 keepers and 7 or so dinks. Good night on hoover for me.