Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like from what I have heard and my success many are getting crappies up near Galena. Anyone have any success in the Middle Section of Hoover for crappies. How about saugeyes? I have been getting some bluegill in the brush/trees last weekend but had not found the crappies in the brush/trees in the middle section then.

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
plenty of crappies throughout the lake.as littleking said,many haven't moved shallow yet.but i think in the next week,you'll be able to find them in shallow cover in those areas and many more in the middle pool.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I stopped and threw a jig/twister at a bunch of suspended fish in 14'-18' in north section around the first island that leads into oxbow. They were really stacked in there, I mean 100's of them. The few casts I made resulted in some 9"/10" fish. They weren't agressive at all. I was going after the bass population that should have greeted me further along the east and west shoreline. Well the temp was 66 degrees and the water was stained but not bad. Perfect for jigs & spinner baits on old Mr.Bass in the wood. After 2 hours of some excellant pitching and flipping it was :S city. I sometimes just want to cry.:confused: Well Saturday it is off to Lake Lanier Ga. Those rebel spots don't know how bad a fisherman I am. Don't tell them guys. :D

·
Registered
274 Posts
Anyone have any success in the Middle Section of Hoover for crappies.
Stopped at Hoover last night to scout the lower section of the lake along the shore in the trees and stumps. Saw one guy catching dinks as fast as he could reel 'em in. If those things were over 6 inches then I'm Sasquatch. Kept every single one of them. :eek: Even had his daughter with him. I shook my head. But what can you say? Anyway, no action south of note. Stay north.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Huh, I thought there was a 9" limit on Hoover but their isn't. Checked the ODNR page and there isn't even a daily limit in Ohio unless its site specific. Guess that guy could of kept 100 5" crappie if he wanted. Don't know why he would want to but he legally can.

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
nope,no creel limits.i'd kinda like to see it though.and a 10 inch minimum.but i'm not sure if that would be beneficial on some waters,so i'll live with what the dnr deems appropriate.even if it hurts to come home empty handed now and then due to throwing back all sub-10 inch fish:D
judging from the few i've caught so far this year,there seems to be a decent pop of good fish as well as good numbers of 8-9's that will be good keepers next year.

·
Sponser MHS
696 Posts
Yeah i see the dinks being kept.:D But for the most part from what ive seen there is a huge population of keepers this spring in the 8-12 inch class if they any smaller there dinks no bigger then your hand. In- between these fish the spawn must of been poor not many mid size fish. No limit of size or numbers here. It does not upset me to see the dinks kept there so many of them it wont hurt anything.

·
day late, dollar short
868 Posts
My bad, I thought there was a 9 inch limit on all the local reservoirs. Can't imagine cleaning a crappie less than 9. I don't tend to even keep the 9s unless they're fat.

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
here are the only regs on ohio crappies.

Crappies Delaware Lake (including the Olentangy River upstream to the Waldo dam, and Whetstone Creek upstream to St. Rt. 229), Alum Creek Lake, Deer Creek Lake, Tappan Lake, Seneca Lake, and Caesar Creek Lake
Minimum Size - 9 inches
Daily Limit - none

Crappies Killdeer Plains, Oxbow Lake, St. Joseph River Wildlife Area Lakes
Minimum Size - none
Daily Limit-10

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.