Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I am new to this forum. I have grown up in Central Ohio and fished here my entire life. 7 years ago I moved to Westerville and near Hoover reservoir. I have tried numerous spots, bait, and techniques and I can probably count the number of fish I caught on one hand. Any suggestions? I should add that I am a land dweller.
I will tell you that last week I went to the Scioto north of O'shaughnessy and landed six pretty decent cats in a matter of two hours. I used cut shad on the bottom and suspended from a bobber. It did not seem to matter the fish were hitting it pretty well. I believe I was in Area K by the old boat ramp.

·
Registered
47 Posts
First off if you are a land dweller in my opinion there are certain times of the year when you can do very well! Early spring you can wade for crappie in the brush. also below the spillway for saugeye can be productive after a water release. Summer catfish can be found numerous places. Fall can be tricky but saugeye can be taken at night off the rip rap. Just some thoughts taget species and good luck!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I haven't try Hoover this week, last time I went there was last week. Crappies and white bass are everywhere. On one of our best day last week, a friend and I caught 51 white bass in 25 minutes with 1/6 double jig + 2" white twister at the second bridge from north(sunbury rd). We caught crappies mostly from coves, pulled some nice LM too around rip rap. -all released-
So, fish are there ! Good luck finding them.

·
Stick fish angler
55 Posts
Hey! We usually head up that way and have fished that boat ramp before, few small kitties and went to the bank on the other side of those trees. Not really much luck over there however we didn't stay for very long. Be careful at that spot there's a beaver that lives under that tree to the right and he eats kittie fish. Might try Area O, a little further north but we usually have good luck there. We drive a 96 saturn and I've got a black mohawk, say hi if you see us! Good luck!

·
Registered
380 Posts
I believe Hoover is in an early summer pattern now. The crappies are forming schools in the open waters and on sharp breaks near the mouths of the coves. Saugeyes are scattered as usual but some will be concentrated on sharp breaklines near points and inside turns. They seem to be 15 to 20 feet deep but I still catch them while bass fishing in shallow cover and on the shallow main lake points. Just like I catch bass while trolling the open water. The catfish are ready to spawn. I caught some nice females today that were bloated with eggs. If I were shore fishing I would get a lake map ( you can get a free map at the Old Dutchman on Sunbury Rd.) and try to focus on shorelines with access to deep water or at least areas with deep water very close by. Current in the creek up north will always attract some fish. Hoover is tough for a shorebound angler since so much of the shore is private. The rip rap near the Sunbury Rd. bridge is a good spot for cats and a lot of other fish. It is not exactly unknown though so I hope you like company.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts