Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys,

My son has a friend staying with us from Canada and he wants to go fishing now. Canada vs Hoover, hmmmm

I am going to load the boat and throw everything at the 'eyes - worm harnesses, rattle traps, minnows and anything else.

I will provide a full report later but if you can tell me where they are hitting, I would appreciate it. Based upon the last few reports, I think I will troll by twin bridges and other places in 12-18 FOW. With the heat and being mid-summer, I will go slooooowly.

Thanks

PS - Please throw the smaller ones back! Good cigars come from Cuba - not the water

·
Urban Angler
6,295 Posts
Some info regarding thermocline and DO levels on Hoover as of recently.

Hoover 5m at 07/02/09 8:13AM
Temp 24.70 C
Sp Cond 0.347 mS/cm
DOSat 55.1 %
DO 4.57 mg/L
DOCharge 24
Depth 4.981 m
Hoover 6m at 07/02/09 8:16AM
Temp 22.31 C
Sp Cond 0.360 mS/cm
DOSat 16.6 %
DO 1.44 mg/L
DOCharge 22
Depth 5.966 m
Hoover 7m at 07/02/09 8:19AM
Temp 20.68 C
Sp Cond 0.361 mS/cm
DOSat 4.0 %
DO 0.36 mg/L
DOCharge 22
Depth 6.972 m

I would stick closer to 12' or above IMO.

·
day late, dollar short
868 Posts
I would love some interpretation on this. Its friday and I'm far too lazy to try to figure out what that all means.

·
Urban Angler
6,295 Posts
Notice the temperature change between 5 and 7 meters. Also notice the Disolved Oxygen (DO) that changes according to temperature. Saugeye, bass, crappie tend to stay above this 'thermocline' in the water column.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Some info regarding thermocline and DO levels on Hoover as of recently.

Hoover 5m at 07/02/09 8:13AM
Temp 24.70 C
Sp Cond 0.347 mS/cm
DOSat 55.1 %
DO 4.57 mg/L
DOCharge 24
Depth 4.981 m
Hoover 6m at 07/02/09 8:16AM
Temp 22.31 C
Sp Cond 0.360 mS/cm
DOSat 16.6 %
DO 1.44 mg/L
DOCharge 22
Depth 5.966 m
Hoover 7m at 07/02/09 8:19AM
Temp 20.68 C
Sp Cond 0.361 mS/cm
DOSat 4.0 %
DO 0.36 mg/L
DOCharge 22
Depth 6.972 m

I would stick closer to 12' or above IMO.
Where does one get this info? I quess I'm lazy also, but can we get the info in Farehiet and feet instead of Centigrade and meters?
Tom,

·
Urban Angler
6,295 Posts
For non metric intervals, plug it into a conversion calculator. Just type Farenheit to Celcius Conversion into google. Likewise for other conversions.

·
Registered
399 Posts
That USGS waterdata site is pretty cool. I'll throw one in--my favorite online conversion site:

http://www.onlineconversion.com/

Also, at the risk of seeming to hijack this thread (although my question is related to the main question, albeit kinda a distant cousin), my rusting understanding of chemistry and physics tells me that the liquid/gas interface (i.e., water surface) has more to do with the amount of dissolved gas in the liquid than the liquid's temperature. As a liquid's temp rises, it's ability to hold dissolved gases diminishes (why warm pop has less fizz than cold, after being open a minute or two). I think temperature comes into play in the relative "comfort" level of the fish, but not really very much in affecting the level of dissolved oxygen in a lake (remember, colder generally means more, all else being equal), and actually in a manner opposite to what Mushijobah said. The different levels of DO in the data Mushijobah presented are much more a function of depth, or distance from the surface. Generally, the closer to the surface you get, the more oxygen you will find. A corollary to that is that a lake will have relatively more DO on a windy day than on a bluebird day.

Thermocline chemistry can be pretty complicated, but to expand a bit on Mushijobah's spot-on suggestion to fish at ~12 ft. in this circumstance, the mentioned fish are going look for the coolest water they can find that has enough DO for them to be able to function. If you have access to this kind of data, the key is to look for the depth that has the coolest temperature with sufficient oxygen, especially near the point where there is a big increase in DO without much increase in temperature. This mainly applies to summer applications when the water is pretty warm. At 5 meters down (16.4 ft.), you find a DO level that is about the threshold for most of our gamefish. In the data, that level is rapidly rising as depth decreases, and I think that Mushijobah pegged it by suggesting 12 ft.

Of course, cover and structure come into play as well, but if it helps, think of dissolved oxygen and temperature as a kind of "structure" that fish will consider. If you have a depth/fish finder that can discern the thermocline, or if you have access to data like Mushijobah does, and you're fishing open water, look for that thermocline and concentrate your efforts on the area just above it, particularly where that level intersects the kinds of cover and structure that we more traditionally look for, like submerged brush, points, rock piles, etc.

On a hot summer day, fish are like people. You want a nice lawn chair (structure) in the shade (cool temperature) with a cooler of cold ones (dissolved oxygen) near to hand. Throw in a bowl of snacks on a nearby table (fishslim's elegant theory on the summertime feeding habits of saugeye) that you can reach at your leisure, and you are set for the duration. Your job as a summertime angler is to look for places where fish can lounge around like that (or look for the fish actually lounging), and offer them a snack within reach that would tempt them to partake.

andesangler

·
Banned
2,976 Posts
Water at 82F will be 100% saturated with 8 ppm dissolved oxygen. Water at 46F can hold up to 12 ppm of oxygen before it is 100% saturated. Rotting plants and bacteria from sewage can cause the % saturation to decrease.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
simple calculation for celsius to farenheit

____degrees C x 1.8 + 32= ___degrees farenheit

ex) 20 degrees C x 1.8 + 32 = 68 degrees F

just FYI

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK, my sons slept in so I went solo this morning. I was on the water at about 6:45 am and trolled (with elec trolling motor on 3 - OK, I drifted fast) the east side, north of Smothers bridge and south of twin bridges. I focused on 8-12 FOW and was fishing with a green worm harness and minnow on the aft rod. After about 45 minutes of nothing, I hit a school of white bass and had the best time of my life. I reeled in one of my rods so I was legal, and threw out a 1/16th oz white rooster tail on an ultralight rod. I pulled in a bunch of white bass and threw back the smaller ones. That last about 30 minutes. The larger bass tended to bit under the schools and they liked a very fast retrieve.

I trolled again north in search of 'eyes and again came up empty, I was using minnows on floater jigs on the bottom and gold & silver worm harnesses - nothing. Then at the entrance of twin bridges, I hit another school of white bass so here comes the rooster tail again.

After that subsided, I went back to eyes again and I caught a thin 15 incher on a green harness and I threw him back. I left just as the rains came in.

All in all, I kept 26 white bass and 1 bream that I wished I would have thrown back now. I bet I got 2 lbs of fillets out of the catch. My 4 sons are now really regretting not getting up with good ol' dad and hitting the water. Anyway, they will be happy to devour the fillets I cook tomorrow.

That was first time ever for me hitting a school of white bass life that. I have read about it; I have heard about it; and now I have done and what a great time!!!!

As a kicker, it was fun watching the osprey going into the water for his daily catch - it doesn't get any better than this.

Good luck guys and be safe on the water.

·
Urban Angler
6,295 Posts
Good work on them whiteys man! I've been seeing schools of them busting shad and other assorted doomed fish in a certain area of Hoover too.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sounds like fun trip on Hoover. White bass are fun to catch, especially when everything are slow. I remember that my friend and I caught 52 whites in 25 minutes after a couple hours of nothing on our 1st summer trip to Hoover - all released -.
They fight better when they are on their feeding frenzy. My friend and I found their school most of the time at 6-10 feet deep around 5:30pm - 9:00pm and the feeding mode can last from 30 minutes to 2 hours - based on our previous trips. We found them 4out of 5 trips to Hoover this summer. I'm going to Hoover tomorrow for sm and lm, hope they bite good.

·
Rather be fishing
162 Posts
"I reeled in one of my rods so I was legal"
How many rods were you fishing with? On Hoover 2 is Legal.

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
"I reeled in one of my rods so I was legal"
How many rods were you fishing with? On Hoover 2 is Legal
he had 2 lines out,and had a 3rd rigged for casting.he pulled one of the others in before he started casting so he would still be legal with only 2 lines out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts