Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Early Sat morning the crappies and white bass were tearing it up at Hoover. Lots of fish on the electronics out on the flats from 14 to 18 feet of water. I probably could have caught lots of white bass fishing their jumps but I chose to troll. I was catching crappies two at a time with an occasional white bass or a catfish mixed in. Early on they hit orange and gold Hot N Tots and chartruse and white Reef Runner Rip Shads about equally. At around 9:30 the bite slowed and I started changing colors and baits. The fish seemed to prefer silver shad type crank baits. The rain and lightning came in around 11:00 and my day was done. Anyway, this is the second week for this kind of pattern at Hoover. The fish seem to be out in the main lake chasing shad now. I am finally seeing shad on the depth finder. Saugeye are there too but the numbers are way down IMO. Last week we managed 6 between three fisherman during an otherwise hot bite for crappies, white bass and cats. Plenty of crappies 10" and larger. (10" is my lower limit for crappies) All fish released this week. Just thought I would pass along what was working for me.

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
i miss that action.this is the time for lots of fun.the fish are keying on the young shad on the flats and open lake like they do every year at this time.saugeyes can be found below those other fish at times.next time you find big bait balls with feeding fish,try vertical jigging blade baits or spoons.if you can get them through the whites and to the bottom,you might get lucky:)
this pattern should hold for quite awhile now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts