hoover 5.21

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by littleking, May 22, 2008.

1. littleking

littleking Crossing Lines LIKE A PRO

goat and i hit hoover last night, man it was cold and windy... crappie were spread all over and NOTHING was consistant...

boated 4-5 fish total :(

2. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Give it another day or so!

PS if you are by the dam, and pass the first buildings up-lake from the dam on the west shore, give me a big old wave! It kills me to have a view of the lake from my office and not be able to fish!

3. littleking

littleking Crossing Lines LIKE A PRO

you working there full time now?

4. Capital outdoorsman

Capital outdoorsman day late, dollar short

I'm headed straight from work. I'll post if there is something worthwhile. I am finding the same as you. I've been to Hoover a lot this year and you need to cover a lot of shoreline to boat a good number of fish. I've done well in the canoe and on foot but in either situation I haven't stayed in one place for long.

5. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

Last two days have had some crazy wind gusts....

Goat when we pairing up??

6. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

20 hours there...20 hours of school...is that considered full time? :)

7. Capital outdoorsman

Capital outdoorsman day late, dollar short

Went last night from 4-9. Caught a lot of dinks and only a handful of decent sized ones. Had 3 dozen minnows and went through all of em, plus caught a fair number on a jig/tail. All were still really shallow. Caught 1 big female that must've been spawning cuz she didn't even put up a fight. thought it was a stick.

8. I also went out yesterday from 6-8:30 boated about 4 or so keepers. Fish were shallow but bites seemed to be far in between. As capitol said you had to keep on moving. All fish were released...

9. CRESTLINER

CRESTLINER Member

What were the water temps yesterday..........

10. I marked up to 63.5 in the LOTW area but surface temps in the main lake were as low as 58ish....anyone mark anything different up north?

11. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

I thought crappie generally spawn when the water temps is 63-68? If it is colder then that then they could have moved back to their deeper pre-spawn haunts. There should be a pretty good bite this weekend.

CG

12. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

crappies generally begin spawning when temps are in the low 60's.but you have to remember that surface temps aren't the same as deepe water,which is what actually drives the spawning urge.they'll move shallow to take advantage of warmer water,but those surface/shallow temps can be several degrees warmer than deeper water.continual fronts(cold)can cause temps to yo yo and postpone,slow the progess of the spawn,causing it to stretch out much longer than in steady,warmer stable conditions.also,if weather puts them off too long,many will just re-absorb their eggs and not spawn at all.