close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hoover 10/4

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Grumpy, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Grumpy

Grumpy Certified Old Geezer

Hit the lake at the crack of 8:30. Got into fish several minutes later. Jigged a vibe and was picking up both crappie and white bass. Most of the crappie were the dink 10 inchers. No breeze to speak of so I switched to trolling with the bow mount. Trolled at just a little over 1 mph and had a 1/8oz. roadrunner with a triple tip on an ultralite on one side of the boat. The other rod was a light action with a vibe. Fish were holding at 10 - 14 ft over 20 ft of water for the most part. Although the bites did not come fast and furious, the action was steady. Most of the whites were 11 - 12 in. but I did pick up a number that were in the 13 -14 in class. Fun morning.

2. TurkGrave

TurkGrave Keep ya line tight!

Thanks for the post Grumpy on vacation next week and planning on getting out a couple times next week at hoover hope to catch a couple nice crappie.

3. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

hopefully you didn't scare them all off,cause i'm hoping to hit it in the morning.

4. Grumpy

Grumpy Certified Old Geezer

I beat the water with my emergency paddle to scare them off.

5. I have to admit that I've never caught anything on a vibe. Never. Not even a nibble. Maybe because it's like karma. I hate double-hooked lures. A flailing fish with a mouthful of sharp, barbed wire is not how I like to commune with nature. One hook is plenty for me and I've been impaled by just that one plenty of times. Maybe the lures somehow sense this. I love roadrunners. I've never been skunked when I pull out a roadrunner. Others on here have said that roadrunners just don't work for them. See, maybe I'm on to something. Hmmm. Gotta love your lure and your lure will reward you.

Anyway, enough dime-store spirituality. Fishing was slow at the lake yesterday, but I did find some 11 to 12 and three quarter inch, fat and happy crappie shallow. I mean really shallow, like 1 to 3 feet. They were feeding and hitting hard like white bass. They preferred an extremely fast retrieve. I caught them on a regular ol' mister twister white grub and a 1/8 oz roadrunner.

I was at first skeptical when I saw bait fish dancing in water that I could see the bottom. It was hot yesterday. But, I heeded the law of tiny fish of if anything is about to eat you, go airborne to alert fishermen so that they might save you from the certain fate of getting lunched. It paid off. I did my part and saved a couple. These are the largest crappie that I've caught since May at Hoover.

This information may or may not be useful to those in search of slabs since most of us who have ever been humbled by lady Hoover know that what worked yesterday might not work today.

6. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

glad you got on some fish.newbreed mitch and i ran into some of those surface busting crappies yesterday also,but in deep water.problem was,we were kinda late,as they sounded just a couple minutes after we saw them,and the bite was done:(
    most of our day till then was spent looking fop baitfish and feeding white bass to no avail.