close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

hook's

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Anth, Aug 22, 2004.

1. whats is a circle hook good for ? does it work good for live or fake bait?

2. elyfishingmaster

elyfishingmaster Junior member

circle hooks work with both they are also good cuz most of the times for the bigger fish like channel cats and carp you dont hardley have to set the hooks

3. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Circle Hooks are awesome if you get to know them! Also I am guessing it will also depend on what you are using them for. I use them for carp channels and flats. I have also used small ones for bluegill. I know if you search for them on OGF, you will find more about them!

4. In my experience (which is much less than some folks on here;) ), circle hooks are very effective when fishing with bait, albeit live or cut. The principle behind the circle hooks is that they are designed so as to not embed in the fish's throat or gut and thus reducing the risk of a damaging or even fatal gut hooked fish. When used properly they should hook the fish in the corner of the mouth. And as Kidfishingmaster mentioned you do not want to set the hook hard on circle hooks until you feel the fish hooked up as he swims away. This helps position the hook properly.

I never use circle hooks for any artificial bait application.