close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hooks - up in size

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Shortdrift, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Some of the Lures that cost $5 to $8 come with soft wire hooks that dull very fast and open up when fighting a large fish. Sometimes the size is a joke when considering the size of the fish that would be attracted to the lure.
    I usually replace the treble hooks that come on a lure with Gamagatsu EWG, one size larger. The only hooks I have not replaced are on the Rapala HJ14 which seem large and strong enough and are quite sharp. I do replace the hooks on the HJ12 and smaller plus most of the other minnow type baits. In many cases I leave the front or middle treble off if it is a three hook set up and they are too close when going up in size. The Gamagatsu hooks are strong and retain their sharp point quite well. The Daichi Death Trap is even better but is substantially more costly. On my trolling spoons I remove the treble and use a single large hook, 1/0 to 2/0. These changes have improved my catch/loss ratio quite a bit. :)
    Interestingly enough, I just looked at some Mirror Lures that are at least 50 years old. They have strong sharp hooks of adequate size and style. :cool:

Seems that some of the manufacturers try to squeeze the last bit of profit out of a lure by using low quality hooks. :(