close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hooks for jig mold????

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by ostbucks98, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Im down here in Chillicothe.Anyone know somewhere I can buy hooks for jig molds locally?

2. What size and style are you looking for?

3. Depends on what your looking for. If no local bait shops carry them or are willing to order them for you , you might want to go down to deer creek and go to mary bait shop and ask butch if he carries waht size you need. I fyou come to columbus, you can go to gander mountain and pick some up. Or even closer try R&R bait shop on front street by greenlawn dam(thats where I get mine). If not call 1-800-basspro and tell them you need to place and order. You might even go to ebay, I see some people sell them on the site too.
    Bryan

4. The Old Dutchman bait store on Sunbury Road, just South of Hoover Reservoir has the hooks you need. They sell a complete line of molds, and carry all the supplies such as hooks/skirts/blades, etc.

5. Your best bet is to look at Jann's netcrafters or Stamina. Also Doitmolds.com has a good selection also. Best prices you will find.

6. Wow,Thanks for the info guys.Im excited to see so many possibilities.MY mold makes 1/4,3/8 and 1/2 ounce.

7. My dad and I make a lot of our own jigs too. We get all our hooks from Netcraft.
    A good place to get lead is from a tire shop. I have got several buckets of old tire weights from a few tires shops and have enough lead to melt to last me for years. I cant remember if the Wal Mart down there has a tire shop or not but thats a good place to ask.

8. How do I get my homemade jigs to come out looking like the ones in the store? The finish always seems to look thin & runny. Should this be a multi step process or am I just using a poor quality jig (dip) paint? Thanks for any suggestions.

9. I use PRO-TEC powder paint and it works great. It is a dip paint I got at gander mountain. The key to a good finish is how hot the jig is when you dip it. If you heat the jig too much it will melt. If it is not hot enough the powder will be flat and lumpy. If this happens just add heat it until the paint smooths out. Experiment with it until you get the touch.

Both the white bass and crappie love the jigs I painted.

10. Try a clear coat after you paint them, makes them look just like the ones you buy at the store.

11. Yep the powder paint works better.

12. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

The reason it looks thin is you probably aren't putting on a primer first