Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a life time fisherman that has caught everything thing from from monster catfish to sailfish. I have never caught a muskie, have heard Alum Creek has a healthy muskie population. Just trying to get some tips or pointers on chasing one of these bad boys down, from a better angler than me. Any help is really appreciated

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any tips on where you could bank fish for them, I work west Columbus area an was going to start trying to throw a line after work

·
Esox Venator
103 Posts
The population at Alum has dropped but still a few fish around, boat hit the lake, no boat below the 3 dams below in Westerville now should be good.
Are they still stocking Alum with muskie?
Hate to hear that the numbers are down there. I was hoping to get down that way soon.

Reactions: 614fisherman3

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
There’s a lot of musky in that lake, I live 10 mins from there. I don’t fish the lake anymore because of the traffic. You can catch them in the creek upstream wading when the suckers and white bass are in there spawning. Below the dam is almost a guarantee this time of year. Big swimbaits or cranks. Watch the snags

·
Registered
248 Posts
My neighbor is an avid muskie guy. He has 50 lures costing 25 to 50 bucks a piece. Most of the lures are a foot long. He said it goes against muskie world, but they eat crappie (looking) lures.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
If you are not in a boat fish the rocks on the dam, lake side. I have seen several fish caught over the years in that area.

·
The end is near
6,527 Posts
Hey guys, What happened to Alum as far as Muskies goes? What changed? Aren't the DNR still stocking the same numbers?

·
Registered
743 Posts
I’ve tried trolling Alum for Muskie several times without success. I cant really say I’ve put a lot of time into it, maybe cumulatively 60 hours over 4 years. This year I’m going to try increasing the speed and see if that helps. This fall, I observed a boat land a Muskie using downriggers. I speculate they used the downriggers to put a large spinner bait or soft bait down 10 to 15 feet. I plan to try that tactic this summer.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
They are hard to find even at the spill. A person tried to take 2 musky home. But DNR caught him and said you can take only one. And gave him a ticket. That's what he told me.

·
Angler/ Sportsman
183 Posts
They are hard to find even at the spill. A person tried to take 2 musky home. But DNR caught him and said you can take only one. And gave him a ticket. That's what he told me.
With a fish like Musky I don't know why people wouldn't practice catch and release, unless you take maybe 1 trophy for a mount. But when I see or hear of people exceeding bag limits and basically poaching, I diffinitely do not approve. Same goes for mistreating fish that are released, what's the point if they aren't going to survive.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I fished the spill this evening with 0 luck, then went and fished the rocks on the north side of the dam with the same luck as the spill. Gotta keep at it! They don’t call them the fish of 10,000 cast for nothing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 38 Posts