close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hooked

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by Chuck78, May 30, 2007.

1. This year I decided to buy a flyrod and give it a wack. Dick's had a pfluger rod reel combo on sales for 80 bucks, so i grabbed one.
    I took it out a couple of times and got pretty comfortable with it. One thing I had problem with was getting the line to cast out straight. After talking to a buddy of mine I am casting pretty well.
    Anyways, I took my flyrod to a cousin's pond and I caught 9 bass that day. I am hooked on this. I am normally a bass fisherman, but I am really liking this fly fishing thing. I can't wait til I get some guts up to step in a river.

Thanks for all the help you guys don't know about :)

2. Chuck,
    You've just become addicted & it's gonna get worse! You'll want to tie tyour own flies, maybe build a rod, & at the very least, you'll want to catch every species that swims with the "long rod"! Fun, isn't it?
    Mike

3. "I am normally a bass fisherman, but I am really liking this fly fishing thing."

You can be both...I for one have caught more Bass since last fall using fly gear than in the previous 15 - 20 years combined using spinning gear...I always had a tough time getting Bass from shore with spin gear (no boat) but have way more luck with the Fly rod....have caught at least 60 this year alone. Trying to find some of size as the season progresses but have mnanaged a couple in the 3-3.5 pound range...great fun on a three wt.

4. I was just at Gander looking around today and thought I wander if they have a Fly tying starter kit. LOL
    I may take a run up to Mad River Outfitters and see what they have.
    And yes it is alot of fun.

5. MRO is the way to go for local fly tying stuff...decide on a few patterns at a time and buy what you need as you need it unless you have a mint to spend at once.

They do have a starter vice and tool kit at MRO that is a nice price and their tying materials are very fairly priced...you can get cheaper but not by much and I haven't found anyone else locally that carries the quality they do.

6. Thank you for the info. I will have to go check it out this week.