Hooked 10-16

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by SConner, Oct 16, 2008.

1. SConner

SConner Fish Whisperer

Went out this evening after work which means only about an hour before night fall. Followed an actively feeding pike all over the place but could not get a bite. He was hitting things on the surface very hard, coming up out of the water on the strike. 5 minutes go by and it happens again 30 yards away. This happened 4 times. Do pike tend to troll all over when feeding?

It got dark so we started to head upstream for the car and I got into a real nice saugeye (maybe 22") I reached down to grab him and he flipped, burying the hook deep in my thumb... Another first! Went home, cut hook and pushed through. Obviously I am recommending caution when landing fish, this is definately not fun.

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=39165&cat=all&limit=last1

2. firehawkmph

firehawkmph Retired Firefighter

Conner,
    You gotta watch those rapalas. I did the same thing years ago in Canada. Had my wife and her sister out in the boat. We were catching a lot of bass that afternoon. On my last fish, I reached to grab him by the lip like I had been doing and he shook and buried a hook in my thumb. Got the fish off and had a 45 minute ride back to the dock with a 10hp, tiller steer motor. Wasn't sure how to get it out so the owner of the cottages sent me about five miles into town to the local doctors office. I waited about two minutes, he came in, gave me a shot to numb it up, cut the hook and pushed it through. My thumb was pretty sore that night so I had to drink a bunch of Absolut to ease the pain.
    Mike Hawkins:)

3. SConner

SConner Fish Whisperer

Hummmmmmm Absolut, sounds like a good idea about now:)

4. Tall cool one

Tall cool one strictly flyfishing

Owwwch! That's rough man!
    Learn how to use the mono loop method for removal and you'll keep on fishing. I've taken from #3/0-10 hooks out w/ barely a flinch or any blood drawn.TC1

5. Ooh. That happened to me with a Tiny Torpedo and a largemouth. I've been "gun shy" ever since. I figured I could get it out while I was still in shock and didn't really feel the pain. No luck. I ended up in the ER and the Doc kept trying to pull it straight out. It took him over 20 minutes and he made a mess of the wound. Looking back, I wonder if he could have pushed it through.

I don't grab them in the mouth anymore if the lure has treble hooks and I always use pliers. I can usually fold the dorsal fin down and get a decent grip without squeezing the fish to death. I understand that the oils on a fish are important but if I wet my hand first, I don't think I wipe too much oil off. I just grip the hook with my pliers while it's still hanging from the line, wet my hand, grab the fish and remove the hook very quickly. Lay it in the water and off it swims.

6. TeamPlaker

TeamPlaker Fishing Deadbeat

First off... OUCH!
    Second, I can't speak for Pike and I'm by no means an expert at anything but I've noticed in some of the holes where I fish for muskie that they move around when they're feeding. They make a very distinctive swirl (we call 'em "ski swirls") when they feed in shallow water or near the top. This is when I get most of my fish. I often see a pattern in it... there will be a swirl in one spot, a few minutes later in another, then another, almost like a cycle that repeats itself... once I catch on to the cycle, I simply move ahead to where the next spot is in the rotation and continuously cast beyond where the swirl was the first time and keep reeling it through... sometimes it works, sometimes they skip that spot and start the rotation in another area. Of course, sometimes they don't swirl at all... they jump clean out of the water, that's a real treat to witness.
    I'd imagine Pike behave similar if not the same. Maybe you can catch on to his pattern and I'll look forward to seeing that pic.. hopefully, he'll leave your hand intact. :)

7. LMRsmallmouth

LMRsmallmouth LMR Master Angler

OUCH!
    That stinks man....painful I know.
    A few years back I was fishing a farm pond and when I left I grabbed my tacklebox and went to leave, only to find out that a large treble was sticking out of the top compartment and had embedded the hook in my hand with the box along with it. The way I was hooked I could not get the box opened to get to the lure so I "hooked the box to my hand"....lol The emergency room thought it was funny when I came in with the box hooked to my hand. The doc had to cut my box (about $45) open to get the hook and then charged me $75 to remove the hook after he got to the lure. Sounds like a bottle of absolute is a cheaper method....lol All of us who fish alot, and I fish ALOT, are bound to get hooked every once in a while. I have made it 3-4 years since my last boo-boo, so I am due!!

8. SConner

SConner Fish Whisperer

Hope you go another 3-4 without this happening. On a cheerful note, the entrance and exit wounds closed up nicely overnight, There is no redness or puffiness and it no longer hurts. I think I am in the clear on this one... Count it as a mulligan!

9. I had a rebel craw hook go through my thumb nail last year, thank god the barb on it was pinched down, not that I pinched it down, it must had been bent down by accident while taking a fish off. I had my buddy do the old mono loop trick and pull it out. Thought for sure it was going to hurt but it came right out due to the barb being pinched. It bleed a little, so I tore off the bottom of my shirt and made a bandage and continued to paddle and fish the rest of the way down the river.

Had another rebel craw hook get stuck into my knuckle this year with the fish still dangling on it, hurt like hell. It sucked trying to get the fish off with the lure stuck in my hand. Then I cut the line and pulled up the anchor on the canoe and started floating back downstream. I didn't have anyone with me to pull it out, I didn't know what I was going to do. Finally I decided to yank it out myself. The first few times didn't work, then I decided to just pull on it until it came out.

10. creekwalker

creekwalker Moving water...

OK, is somebody going to post a link to the "mono loop method" for those of use not in the know? :D A few years back someone posted a link to show how to remove a swallowed hook from a fish and that has been extremely useful to me. It's saved several fish for me since I read it. Of course, I would like to save myself from some pain if I get hooked :)

CW

11. smallieguy

smallieguy Smallmouth Please

I had a smallie do that once with an FR5 except it jumped out of my hand and got the hook out for me.:( :(
    Dang that hurt. It took a month for that cut to close.
    Rest out, get drunk and it will all get better.:)

12. Man I feel your pain. I reached for a Gizz 4 in the boat just as a wave hit us. Burried the hook up to the bend right in the middle of my thumb. The hardest part was getting the Gizz 4 off the hook. I tried pliers but there was no getting it out. My buddy tried the fishing line trick. He told me that he had never tried it and didn't now if it would work. He told me that he would give a good hard jerk on 3. 1............. POP, never made it to 2 and it came right out. I wiped off the blood and went back to casting.

13. SConner

SConner Fish Whisperer

I had never heard of this method until this post, not sure it needs much of a diagram. Sounds to me like the same concept as pulling teeth with string. Tie it off at the curve in the hook and yank. I did pull a couple of times pretty hard with the needlenose pliers but it did not budge. Not sure pushing it through was any better or worse. The key in either method is to do it fast.

14. I think I know what the "mono loop" method is, and I'm sure somebody will clarify it. Basically, you tie a string on the bend in the hook and pull quickly while pushing the barb away from flesh. It's the same principal you use when you remove a hook from a fish. We all know that doesn't always work.

I remember reading once in Field & Stream about slipping a piece of mono alongside the hook and into the space between the barb and hook shank. Then, supposedly you just pull it out. Of course, that won't always work, either.

15. TeamPlaker

TeamPlaker Fishing Deadbeat

Too confusing... I say leave it in until it rusts out. It'll make for an interesting conversation piece and chicks dig scars any way. :D

16. Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  17. Clayton

Clayton Fly guy

Or you could fish barbless.