close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hook size

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by traphunter, May 22, 2007.

1. traphunter

traphunter Guest

Hey all its about that time of year when I start getting serius about catfishing. We went yesterday evening to a new ( and awesome spot ) and I got plenty of bites. The problem is I only hooked one fish and missed at least 5 or 6. I was just wondering what size hook you all use because i think mine may be to small. I use gamakatsu hooks if that helps any. Thanks

2. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

what size are you using now?circles?type/size bait?

3. traphunter

traphunter Guest

sorry about that. I am using the gama 4/0 and 5/0 Octopus hooks and shad and bluegill as bait.

4. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

5/0 should be ok.may be where/how you're hooking the bait.if you're hooking through the bak,you might want to check the point after hooking,to make sure a scale or sometng isn't stuck on the point.

5. Not sure? I have caught some mighty small channels on 6/0 (like 8-10 inches); usually if they can get it in their mouth you can hook them.

I would get back out there and try it again!

6. traphunter

traphunter Guest

well I guess its probably just me then and not the hooks. I do usually check for scales on the hooks after hooking them so I dont think thats it. We will be at rocky fork all night tomorrow if anyone wants to stop by. Thanks again

7. hunted

hunted i missed again........

depends on the size of your bait also,might be trying to set the hook too soon before they can get it all the way in

8. tcba1987

tcba1987 Tuscarawas River Angler

i like 3/0 to 4/0 Gamakatsu Circle Hooks for channels ........for Flatties i like to use 6/0 to 8/0 Gamakatsu Circle Hooks depending on the size of bait that i am using !!!

9. Flathead King 06

Flathead King 06 click...click...click

well if you're going to be channels fishing in still water I prefer a regular baitholder hook-1/0 - 2/0, but in moving water I prefer a owner ssw cutting point circle hook 8/0...like fish-n-fool said if they can get their mouth on it then you can hook them...but as for hooks for flatties and blues I prefer a hook I can jerk with so I use a eagle claw kahle around 10/0...they havent let me down yet, and for bait...cut baits and small chubs/gills for channels and blues, and for flatties I use large lively gills, carp, suckers, chubs, goldfish, and especially green sunfish (probably the best live bait around these parts)