1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to use some in line boards next time out and have a question
on hook setting. When I use dipsys the hook set is pretty automatic, but
what I see and read about small boards concerns me. When the fish hits
and pulls back on the board, is there enough resistance to set the hook ?
Seems like gently reeling in to release the board and then reeling in the
fish may not get a good hook set. I know a lot of members use these, any
advice will help.
Thanks
EB

·
1 fish is a he!! of alot more than none.
2,020 Posts
I think the speed of the troll will set the hook. Both guides I've fished with would not let us set the hook because you break line or loose fish.
Besides, when you have a board on, you are only moving the board, not setting the hook. This is what I've been doing now for 3 years and no issues, just real them in nice and easy and keep the rodtip high.

·
Registered
526 Posts
As long your going more than .6mph, you shouldnt have to set a hook. The pull of the boat will do it for you. Also, a lot of fish will come up behind a bait and then turn their head to the side during the strike. This sudden force of the strike, weight of the fish, and the force of the lure being pulled usually equates to a decent hookset. Every now and again you run into the occasional pod that likes to hit a bait, and then swim with it the same direction you are trolling. Sometimes i set the hook when this happens, but its not always needed.
I try to set the hook with an inline planers when the inside (slack side) boards fire on a turn. Also sometimes when quickly dropping back after a swing and miss, i give a nice sweeping pull as i walk backwards to bury the hook.. Thats about it.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies...I will get my boat back from repair next week and give it a try.
I read about so many lost fish that it made me think about the hook set. I seldom loose
a fish with dipsys and spoons. But I am not getting near as many fish on.
Thanks
EB

·
Registered
526 Posts
Losing fish is just part of the game. Its gonna happen. Sometimes they hit the spinner blade or the weight, so its not like you ever hooked those fish in the first place. A lot of the fish you drop will be at the back of the boat. Heres some advice..

Dont EVER lift their head out of the water before they are in the net.

Also when they get close to the back of the boat, but still out of sight, they usually give a small run or two with a few head shakes. This is where ppl lose fish. Expect this to happen and compensate for it. Dont hold the rod butt against your stomach/waist. Instead, put the rod butt between your arm and ribs, or do like i do and grab the grip just ahead of the reel, and hold the rod out in the air in front of me with one hand. Your hand is now a fulcrum for the rod. This gives the rod more limber action, and makes it tougher for the fish to get off. Resistance is what pulls hooks, if you can control it, you will boat more fish. You can also use the drag, but sometimes you cant get to it quick enough when a big fish decides to run. Each to his own. Even doing all of this, you will still drop fish, hopefully just not as many. Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts