Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quite frustrated after missing quite a few bass/bowfin on a kvd frog this morning. Had a handful on monster blow ups but couldn't seem to get a solid hook set.

I've been kayaking for about a year now but still having a few problems missing some fish. Mostly froggin, 7ft heavy with braid. Is it better to have even longer rods on the yak or do sit on tops help too? can't seem to generate enough power

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Kayak Fishing
616 Posts
The newer sit on tops that have elevated seats seem to give you a better view and better leverage when top water fishing, but top water being what it is can still be a tough hook set in any watercraft. You already are using the right rod/line setup....not setting the hook too soon are ya? Our kayak tourney at Kiser Lake A LOT of people were getting short strikes on topwater baits...may just still be a post spawn thing (although late).

·
HouseTackle
2,054 Posts
The longer the rod, usually the slower the hookset since it has to load up over that extra length. Usually with braid this is a good thing since the issue most people have is ripping the hook out of the fish's mouth. I usually loosen my drag up and use long rods and count to "ONE-ONE THOUSAND" before setting a hook on most topwater bites. I'm not sure if you are using a Medium-Heavy rod, but that might be one thing that helps. You might also try setting the hook sideways by moving the rod tip parallel to the water to maximize the force you are exerting down to the lure.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I may try the side hook set, I'm just used to bringing it up and to the left while in a boat. I also may shorten up my casts, I was launching my frog over huge duckweed patches...definitely not much leverage at extreme distances.

Been looking at upgrading to a sit on top also...

Definitely hooked on the yak though

Livin and Learnin...

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Slayin' and filletin'
1,985 Posts
If you are using a frog you have to count to 3 to make sure the fish has it deep in their mouth. I love using frogs in lily pads but have lost a lot of fish 'cause I can be impatient.

Make certain your hooks are sharp too!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I normally use the side hookset as opposed to the high-hero bill dance hookset. I find that I just rip too many out of their mouth doing it that way. I also don't jerk it as hard as I can. I give it just a bit of tension to make sure they have it, then sort of give it a long tug so I know I have it, not a huge jerk most of the time. On a med-heavy rod, the fish will do most of the work for you in hooking itself. If they arent doing most of the work on a MH rod, you arent going to hook them anyway because they may not be biting long enough.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
This is something I fight more than you conventional gear guys because I am fly fishing. Fly rods flex a lot more than conventional rods to allow the rod to load the line and cast effectively. What I have to do is keep the rod tip low and pointed right at the fly. Hook setting works best for me by strip setting, pulling on the line more than just raising the rod, which takes the "cushion" effect from the rod out of the equation. Obviously you won't be strip setting with a baitcaster, but keeping your rod low and towards the direction of the retrieve may help. You'll have a more direct contact with the frog so your hook set will put more pressure on the hook to drive it home.

·
Banned
16,937 Posts
This is something I fight more than you conventional gear guys because I am fly fishing. Fly rods flex a lot more than conventional rods to allow the rod to load the line and cast effectively. What I have to do is keep the rod tip low and pointed right at the fly. Hook setting works best for me by strip setting, pulling on the line more than just raising the rod, which takes the "cushion" effect from the rod out of the equation. Obviously you won't be strip setting with a baitcaster, but keeping your rod low and towards the direction of the retrieve may help. You'll have a more direct contact with the frog so your hook set will put more pressure on the hook to drive it home.
Wouldn't using a shorter rod accomplish the same thing? Just wondering..

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Wouldn't using a shorter rod accomplish the same thing? Just wondering..
Keeping the rod low takes the tip flex more or less out of the process when you set the hook. A short rod may have less tip flex, sure, but keeping the rod low no matter what the rod length and getting maximum leverage with no slack and little to no tip flex is going to help drive the point home. A shorter rod may help, but if you are setting the hook with a short rod with the tip held high you are still allowing tip flex to cushion the blow a little.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Once I get a blow up I freeze and wait till I feel the fish moving. Once I feel the fish I reel up most of the slack line and then try to cross her eyes. I use a 7'2" med heavy rod and 65lb braid. I frog fish most of the summer and am pretty confident in my frog fishing, with that said on a good day I hook up with probably 50% of my bites. It's just part of the fun for me.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

1 - 10 of 10 Posts