Honey Bee Colony needs to go!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by PapawSmith, Jul 9, 2008.

1. PapawSmith

PapawSmith Bud n Burgers

Got a strange one. Have a property in Medina where a Colony of Honey Bee's has taken up residence in the house's siding via a 1" hole where an old gas pipe was removed. At first look i thought it might be Hornets so I was just going to spray them, but no it's Honey Bees. Givin their recent plight, loss in population in the US of 30% in 2006 and again a loss of 30% in 2007, I really don't want to kill them. I don't know any Beekeepers so I called the head of Medina County Beekeepers Association. He seemed almost disinterested and pretty much recommended I kill them :confused: . Not at all what I expected.
    Hoped someone here may be, or know, a beekeeper that might come get these things. Can't see helping kill off the already beleaguered primary pollinator of our food crops.

2. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

That would be a shame if they had to goto waste! Do what you have to though..Or make a beekeeper box?

3. PawPaw,

You might try calling the Medina County Agriculture Extension office. They may know someone who will take the bees off your hands. Saturday, I saw the first honey bee I've seen allyear. I remember when you couldn't walk barefoot in the yard for fear of being stung.

http://medina.osu.edu/

Tim

4. get yourself a grizzly bear. I heard they love honey and honey bees.

5. PapawSmith

PapawSmith Bud n Burgers

I used to have a Grizzly Bear. A big, fat, really really mean one! I divorced her ten years ago.
    Thanks for all of your replies. I've already contacted the local outlets you guys provided and am awaiting return calls. From all I've read it sounds like I'll be cutting the side of my house open though :( . They've been in there about Two weeks, the damn comb is probably the size of a basketball by now.

6. that was awesome. any chance is she still single??? just kidding!! :p

7. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler