close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Homosassa Florida

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by Stinky Fingers, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Had a great day out on the gulf of Mexico (Sunday 6/14/04). Left the ramp at 6:30 and made the trip down the river and out into the channel. Stopped at channel marker 20 to catch some live bait. Spent about 30 minutes catching pins, spots, baby grunts, white bait, and the occasional pig fish (not sure of its proper name but that was the sound it made). With about 50-60 live baits in the well and 25 pounds of frozen sardines in the cooler we were on our way to the first spot, 30 miles offshore.

On the way out we decided to stop off at seahorse reef (10 miles offshore) to try for some larger baits, big spots and pinfish. We dropped rigs down and within a minute we were reeling in some nice sized pins and spots. About 5 minutes into bait fishing I hook up with something and its ripping drag from my 4’-6” St. Croix Ultra light (EX: Lake Erie perch rod) after a couple minute fight I boat my first ultra light shark!! We put another 20-30 live baits in the well and headed the 20 miles to our spot.

Once we anchored on our spot it didn’t take long for the fish to start biting. Within 5 minutes we had our first keeper on ice, a nice fat 24” red grouper. For the next 45 minutes it was non-stop action but all shorts, under 20”. Then they shut off for about 15 minutes. When they turned back on, I boated a nice 26” red followed by a 23” red. We fished the spot for another hour; total take was 4 nice reds. We pulled the anchor and headed out another 15 miles to 55 feet of water. We looked around and finally managed to find some good bottom (ledges, holes, hard bottom instead of sand) We anchored up and within 10 minutes put two more nice red grouper in the box. We caught a bunch of gag grouper but they were all coming up a 1/2" short. At 6:30 we decided to call it a day and head on in.

Great day on the water, we even made it in before the thunderstorm and lightening started!!!

Attached Files:

2. pic of a puffer fish we caught on sunday...

Attached Files:

3. That's a great report & some nice looking fish. Glad to see your'e all settled in Florida. You probably don't even miss the Lake Erie walleye yet. Keep the posts coming. An ultralight shark. WOW.

4. Awsome report, keep them pictures and reports coming.

Thanks.

5. Thanks, so far the only regret I have is that I should've moved sooner. The fun part is catching bait, reminds me of perch fishing!! Speaking of perch I'm down to my last couple of packages!

6. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

maan..i like those red grouper...how about a trade?? ..perch for groupers.. :D ..and those reds and niice too.. :)
    niice reports and good luck to ya down there...