close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Homemade Plastics?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by ParmaBass, Aug 1, 2005.

1. ParmaBass

ParmaBass Kiss The Converse

Has anyone one here ever made there own soft plastic baits. I was thinking about trying out. What kind of initial investment would I be looking at getting all the neccesary equipment I need? Also I looked all over the net and could not find any info on a Senko type mold. I found something similar and it was almost $200 bucks, all the other ones where in the $5-$10 range.

Thanks guys!

2. Iron_Chef_CD

Iron_Chef_CD Allez Cuisine

Well you peaked my intrest because I chew through a lot of plastics, so I searched around and found this place http://www.barlowstackle.com/

It looks like they have all kinds of cool stuff for making your own tackle. Here's the section for plastics, thought I saw something that resembled a senko too!

http://www.barlowstackle.com/acb/webpage.cfm?WebPage_ID=59&DID=6.

Doesn't look that expensive either. If you start making any let me know how it works I may just get into it and we can swap techniques.

3. ParmaBass

I came across that site too. They have a starter kit for around 30 bucks, they say it has everything to get you started. I'll let you know if I come across anything else.

4. I have seen molds on Ebay before, just search for plastics and molds and you should come up with something. I found a company on there as well, but I can't recall the name. They had molds for all types of plastics on their site.

Eric

5. Those are all good sites but www.lurecraft.com gets all my money for plastics!People say plasitcs are all the same. Well I disagree. Some burn fast and some can take more heat! Colors are another thing. Getting the right color you desire. It aint easy. I have some pictures in my gallery of my set-up. If you would like to see more I'll be glad to help you get going.Give me a shout and I will help you with anything. YOU AINT GONNA MAKE MONEY But its fun trying different things. Glenn

6. ParmaBass

I just found that web site and was just about to post about it. What kind of initial cost am I looking at, I did some math and I came up with close to 80 bucks including shipping to get me close to 200-300 worms worth. 2 different types of plastic(2 quarts of each), salt, glitter, flavors (Cherry sounds sweet!), pouring pots, and 5 molds. Thanks Jiggy!

7. Iron_Chef_CD

getinjiggy, that's funny you post I just saw your pictures in the random gallery on the main page.

If you use a lot of plastics do you end up breaking even? From what I saw after you buy the molds and hot plates and rubber, then add to that hardner, oils, glitters, color and all the other stuff for fine tuning it seems like you would have about the same as you would if you just bought them from the store.

Definatley something I would like to do once I have a few hundred to burn. But I think I may be better off buying what I needfrom the store and keep putting money towards a bass boat :D

8. Guys I started making plastics to keep me busy, and help stop drinking. Well I drink now occasionally but thats better than before. If your going to buy plastic I would reccomend the #502 I buy mine by the gallon and pour about 8 oz. at a time. Now this 8 oz will expand to some degree while its in the melting pot. I make crappie tails so for that 8 oz. I can get over 500 tails easy. Its time that you will spend making them.My molds I made myself. The molds you get there are flat molds. Once you get the molds you want and get things figured out, you WILL take pride in your abilities once you start catching fish. I give plenty out to my fishing buds, and they normally out fish me!! Investment, to get started. I think my initial order was under 100 bucks. With all my molds now and all my junk I bet I have over a 1,000.00 in it. Glue guns, I bet Ive used over 5 different ones and theres been 1 I keep buying. Its a Walmart brand.My molds are all billet aluminum. Im a welder by trade but had access to a bridgeport mill. I just made my own. Trial and error is gonna be the hardest part. If you need help just holler. Glenn

9. Try tackleunderground.com for info and del-mart.com for product. I'm currently fishing way too much and trying to scout for deer season, but after hunting is over and the lakes ice in, I plan to ty it out. To me it's about the hunt (even in fishing). Go fer it! You may even make it a career...

10. Iron_Chef_CD

Thanks Glenn,
    It sounds like a real good time! I may have to invest a little in it this year if the money stays steady. If I do I'll be sure to get in touch and swap baits and ideas with you!

11. ParmaBass

How long does it take the plastic to set up? The one mold I'm looking at only has 4 slots to pour.

12. Parma, I have a mold that has 20+ cavities. By the time I get to the end, I can trim and split my mold. Mind you these are small crappie tails so theres not much plastic. Now I do have a larger 3" tail mold that does take more time to cure out! I dont pour directly from the melting pot either. I inject the mold with a gun. Glenn

13. ParmaBass

Is that a normal glue gun or a special gun used for making plastics? Just wondered how you loaded the plastic into it?

14. After I get the color I want in my melting pot, and the plastic has done its magic with the chemicals and heat. I simply pour it into a flat aluminum pan I made.(this keeps you from burning it in the pot)Now when it cures out, I cut small strips 3/8 x 1" long. I use these in my gun. I use a walmart brand gun. (thermogrip209) I modified it for my use, but its a simple modification. I bought a 7/16 dowel rod to push the plastic through the gun. Its pretty simple, but it took me alot of trial and error finding all this out!Thats why I have around 6 guns lying around. I do however use a separate gun for glitter. Sometimes its hard to get it all out if your shooting something that doesnt have glitter in it. I can get pictures if you like and put them in my gallery. Just let me know! Glenn

15. Sounds like waaayy too much work for a lazy bum like myself :D It would be pretty neat once you got everything running smoothly, though.

16. Well Ive already done the work. I have thousands of tails I can use at any given time. I cant stand spending 15 cents for a tail I can make for pennys.Glenn

17. ParmaBass

I just placed and order and can't wait to get started. Found a real good site that makes two piece molds. There pretty expensive, but when you consider 10 senkos cost $6.00 it's makes sense to pay a little more for a good mold. Should have everything I ordered by mid-week sometime. I know who to ask if I have any questions.... Thanks again! I'll add a link to the "mold" site below.

http://www.bobstackleshack.com/catalog/default.php

18. ParmaBass

This is pretty cool, just got started already got around 20 made. Only used 6 oz. of plastic to boot. My wife's complaining about the garlic smell coming from the basement, but I have a feeling she's gonna get used to it. Well now I have to make myself goto bed, but there's gonna be some long weekend nights coming up! Hey gettin Jiggy if you read this, what are some good options for stirring the plastic. I tried spoons and knives and too much plastic sticks to them. Thanks.

19. Go to Walmart in the craft section. There wooden stir sticks in there about 1 " wide. I use those. Also I grab the plastic bags they have. They should be fairly close by! Glad your having fun doing this. It is neat the colors and flavors you can come up with. Just document the drops and spoonfuls of powder u use for future ref. You might have a hot bait and cant duplicate it exactly! Ive done that!!!! Glenn