homemade jams/preserves/jellies.

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by misfit, Oct 15, 2008.

1. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

after recently rediscovering the great taste and ease of making freezer jams,i'm hooked again:)
    years ago,myself and my family made our own.both freezer types and standard recipes.gooseberry,wineberry,greengage plum,cherry,strawberry,persimmon,you name it,we made it.i even picked wild grapes every year while deer and squirrel hunting,and made terific jam from them.
    but freezer jams are so simple and tasty,i've decided to never buy store bought stuff again,and haven't for quite some time.
    as of now,i have several pints of strawberry and blueberry jam put up.i'll be adding a couple more flavors soon.it will keep in the freezer for up to a year,and refrigerated for a month.
    the great part is ingredients are available year round.i like fresh fruits in season,but there is a good variety of frozen available year round,that work just as well.

try it.............you'll like it:)

2. WB185Ranger

WB185Ranger Gotta Love Odie!

It is good stuff! I made strawberry, black raspberry & peach freezer jam last year :) WB

3. Do you make they way you make regular jellies and then just freeze it?

4. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

walleyefan,no.they're much easier/simpler than the cooking/canning method,and just as good,if not better.

5. I can't wait until I have time to try this.

6. misfit- any link on how to go about doing this. Might like to give it a try.
    We usually hit amish country and stock up several times a year on assorted jars.

7. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

here is just one recipe for strawberry.
    http://www.recipezaar.com/238839

i use the liquid certo,and it comes with recipes for several flavors.they all are basically the same ratios and are prepared the same.the great thing is you can use frozen fruits when fresh are not available.
    the recpies make app. 2 1/2 pints.

8. When we lived out in Arizona, mom made all kinds of jams and jellies. Aside from the usual strawberry, etc...3 that I really liked were Elderberry, crab apple and pricklypear cactus. On the odd years that the cactus had enough fruit, it was a much treasured item on the table.

9. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

i have some work to do in the next couple of days.
    i picked our apples and have to peel and core them to make apple butter(the recipe that was listed here last year,very good!!!),after that we're going to make blackberry jam.we ended up with 4,1 gallon freezer bags this year so that should be enough to use through the year.alot of work but well worth it.
    now if i can afford to get a new motor installed on my gravely i'll be able to till up a garden next year.this was the first year in a long time we haven't had a garden and i was bummed about it.