close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

homemade deck extension

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Warpath, Aug 9, 2005.

1. I have been thinking about adding a deck extension to my front deck. I have a small boat and any added storage would be great. What I would like to do is build my own out of fiberglass place, but I have no idea where I could get the sheets of fiberglass to build it. It wouldn't be all that big really, maybe 3 foot long by 2 foot wide and 2 foot deep.

Any ideas where I might find fiberglass panels maybe 1/4 or 1/2 inch thick?

Eric

2. peon

peon account delete

not sure about sheets of fiberglass but i know car speaker boxes are wood covered in fiberglass .. never seen it in sheets though...

3. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

ive found alot of information about glassing by reading car audio forums. if you go to http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_topics.asp?FID=16 you can read through some of the post and find out where you can buy most of the materials if not all. i believe when i was scanning through i found that lowes carries everything you need to glass, even rolls/sheets of the fiberglass. there is alot of tips/tricks also that im sure would apply to what your trying to do

sowbelly

4. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Hey eric when i cut my front deck floor out and put in new plywood and re glassed it i bought all the fiberglass supplies at lowes.

5. Very cool guys ! Thanks for the info. Jerry, why does it seem that everything I try to do, it turns out you've already done it? I should just think of what I want to do to my boat and turn it over to you.

I really want to move my trolling motor batteries to the middle of the boat. All the weight is on the right side (yes, including me). Plus with the added storage I could add a cooler.

I'll head to Lowes and see what they've got. I feel like this project wouldn't take all that long to do. I might try and have it done before the season is over.

Thanks again!

Eric

6. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Eric anytime you need help just let me know man, I have done most of it because thats what i have always done maintenance work and i have 4 kids so cant afford to pay someonelse to do it. LOL