close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Home theatre question and house question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fishintiger, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Ok so I have no clue on home theatre systems. I'm hoping someone here can help me out. As some of you know I am getting married this weekend. My company got together and got a gift card to Target for my fiance and I. We want to buy a home theatre system but I'm not sure if the ones we are looking at are any good. We are looking at Panasonic brand systems. This is the more expensive one and this is the cheaper one. They both are 5 disc DVD/CD changer, am/fm stereo. The only difference I really seen is that the cheaper one is 600 watts and the more expensive one is 800 watts. I'm not looking for one that the neighbors can here the movies we are watching. Does it matter that I have a Toshiba tv and these are Panasonic? Will that effect the sound or anything? I don't see why it would but like I said I have no idea about this stuff.

Ok now the house question. Now that we are getting married we are looking to buy a house and get out of this small apartment. My question is which is better buying a pre-existing house or buying land, building a house and garage or pole barn? I want an acre or two and would like to have a large garage/pole barn. I want it to be big enough for the boat, my Camaro that I want to restore and the bosses car, plus have room for the mower and anyother toys that I would need to keep out there. I've looked at houses that have what I'm looking for and they are around $200,000 or more. I was looking around and found 2 acres around Lancaster for $29,000 I think. The only problem is I don't know how much it would cost to have the utilities run to the land and who I would even talk to, to build the house and garage.

Can anyone help me?

2. Regarding the stereo, sorry, I'm no help.
    Regarding the house, each way has it's advantages and disadvantages. I suspect you'd MUCH better off buying an existing house and building a pole barn or garage if needed. Many people are overwhelmed by what's involved in having a new house built. While in process, there will be times it seems like it'll never be over. Not to mention there are almost ALWAYS unexpected costs that arrise. Looks at houses that are close to what you want, and accept the fact that you may never have everything you want. Even building a new house, 5 years down the road you'll wish you'd done something different.
    BTW, congratulations.

3. Thanks m. magis. We have thought about buying an existing house and adding the garage/pole barn later. I was just wondering how hard it will be later on to get approval from the city/county/township to build the garage. Thanks for the help.

4. Probably less hassle than builing new or getting utilities hooked up. :D

5. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Buy an existing house built between 1950 and 1970ish. The new ones are built out of pressboard and plastic and they are cheap as heck.
    Stay away from developments with fancy names (too expensive) and mass produced houses like Ryan Homes.
    For a first time home buy based on location, schools if you have kids and what ever you can afford with a 15 year loan. Pay off the house in 10 years and then go buy your dream house with the pole barn with your $100,000 in equity.

6. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Your existing TV will work just fine. The 600 or 800 watt system is plenty of power for most applications too. I'm also assumming that is the total wattage for either system...take that and divide it by the number of channels the amp has and that will give you the approx. rms wattage per channel...(ie 5 channels/800=160 per channel). It will be your volume adjustment that determines if your neigbors will hear the movie or not. :D

7. shuvlhed1

shuvlhed1 Banned

In electronics, you get what you pay for. Get the expensive one, it has a powered sub. Brand names don't matter much when mixing components, especially tvs with home theaters.

For the house, ditto what Magis said. Never done it, but heard it is overwhelming building a house on your own. Frankly, I am flabbergasted that you have found a house with everything you are looking for for $200k, much less mulitple ones. If I read correctly, you want a nice house, over an acre of land, and a minimum of a 3 car oversized garage. Maybe real estate is cheaper in your neck of the woods. Around Cincy, I'd be surprised to find that cheaper than 300k Hell, houses on 1/3 acre with 2 car garages can go 250k easily around here.

Carefully consider how much house you can afford. You don't want a huge house/insurance/tax payment (Also think gas/electric/water/cable/phone/etc. payment) so that you can't afford to put gas in your boat or buy spark plugs for that camaro, much less buy enough furniture. Some people don't mind being house poor, but it would drive me crazy. Try to think down the road, also. Car getting ready to blow up? Wife or you thinking of going back to school? All things to consider.

Good Luck.

8. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

Definately get the "more expensive" one. The main difference between the 2 lie in the subwoofer. The cheaper one is a passive, single woofer model while the more expensive model employs an ACTIVE, 2 woofer system. The weight difference for the subwoofers are 9 pounds versus 24.9!!! That is a huge difference in sizes of magnets! What sets one theater system apart from another is the fullness and richness of the bass. That "rumble" is what makes you feel like you are in the movie. You will not get that with the first one. You will "hear" the bass, but not "feel" it. Spend the extra 100 bucks and you won't be sorry. You are getting alot for that 100 bucks. As far as the rest of the system, the other speakers are pretty much the same, except you get a little more power with first option. Also, the surround sound speakers (rear) are full range on the cheaper one and 1-way on the more expensive model. You get more sound seperation and clarity with a 1-way versus a full-range model.

Hope this helps...

9. Thanks guys for all the info on the sound system. I was pretty sure I wanted the "more expensive" one but just wanted to hear what some of you had to say about it.

Shvlhed I can't say that I've found what I'm looking for but the houses I've found that have close to what I want are atleast $200k most being closer to $300k. Lancaster is "cheaper" because it isn't fully developed yet. It is growing quickly but it's not anything close to Columbus. We looked at building a house with Dominan in C-bus and Lancaster and if we built the same house in Lancaster it would be $40k less than C-bus. :eek: Yes I said $40k.

10. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

geeze,i almost forgot the wedding is in a few days:eek:
    i better go get my tux out of mothballs.

oops,never mind.i forgot the last time i wore it,my waist was 10 inches smaller:rolleyes:
    sounds like you got some good advise from a couple people.i can't help on the sound system,but if we get some time saturday,i'll talk to you about the house.if i was still in the business and able,your problem would be solved,though :)

11. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yes. I love it. AndroDoug is right on the money with one small addition. The more power you have available, the less effort the system has with the information. Simple terms..less distortion, even at moderate listening levels. Like Doug said "powered sub" much better than passive one". That means that the powered sub has it's own dedicated amplifier that is designed to reproduce bass best. The passive unit just samles off of the original signal and spits it out to the woofer. It detracts from the rest of the channels performance. And like Doug also said, "you've got to FEEEEEEEL the bass." I can only enjoy mine when noone else is at home. lol Never marry a woman that doesn't get into music. lol

I also agree with the advise you got on your home buying dilema. Building a brandy new house would put alot of unnecessary strain on a new marriage. And like was also said, construction of the new ones is the pits.

Good luck with the marriage and happy listening.

12. One thing worth mentioning. Expect your mortgage to fluctuate based on the amount of escrow. Mine went up $150/month after two years. It's since gone down some, but it can be a kick in the pants if your not expecting it.

13. I just built a custom home 2 years ago. Listen to what they're telling you, it is more expensive than it appears, but it was worth it in the end, at least to me. I was able to get everything I wanted the way I wanted it. Everything is new so there are no roof/furnace/central air/appliance problems to even think about.

I'm at a different stage than you though. I bought my 1st house 1 year after I got married. We lived there for 7 years and did improvement projects, and had 2 kids. When the kids were old enough to go to school, we sold it and built one in the 'burbs that we're going to be in for a long time.

Buy one that suits your most pressing needs. Sell it later and get one that suits your new needs and desires.

14. Tiger...I can tell you from experience that no place has everything - even one you would build. What you want to find is one that has 85-90% of what you are looking for. I recommend spending 3-6 months looking- that way you get a feel for the market and hopefully find something reasonable. Make a list of your house wants and rank order them in terms of importance. Then work from there.

15. Lewzer gave the best advice - ABSOLUTELY DO NOT BUY ANYTHING that requires more than a 15 year note. The single biggest mistake first time home buyers make is taking the suckers bet - the 30 year note. This will be your first house not your last. what you want to do is build equity not pay interest. If you only ever take one piece of advice in life take this one. You will be buying that "dream" property much quicker than if you go with a 30 year note. And get a fixed rate note - shoul;d run you about 5.25% now on a 15 yr.

16. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

good points MA.you and lewser hit it on the mortgage.if at all possible,that's the way to go.
    there are many trains of thought on buying a first home,and you just have to go with what fits.
    i see a guy on tv(fox news or something)now and then,who is supposed to be a wizzard at the stuff.what he said did make sense in a way,but may not be right for everyone.
    his theory,which i understand,is buy your last house,first.
    in otherwords,as most have advised,and i did,don't look for the typical "starter" home,but think down the road about what your needs may be,with kids,schools,etc,and buy now.the reasoning behind it is buy "starter" now,and at the same time you're building equity,home prices are escalating,and what you can buy now for 150k may be 250k by the time you're ready to buy your second.
    the only downside i see with that,is the financial feasibility if your income can't handle it now.
    another thing that a lot of people do,is buy a small starter,then when the kids come along,it's time to shop again.then the kids fly away,and mom and dad now have too much house,and back to shopping for something smaller and easier maintained.
    by buying your second house first,you eliminate the third house,unless you just like moving a lot like i have ;)

ps.............when it comes to building,that's another story :)

17. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

You can get a 30 year mortgage and make extra payments on it. It does work this way. Get a good real estate agent who can point you in the right direction. We had a great husband-wife team and I have never regretted it. I had to compromise on my house and get a 1-car garage. Boat and my truck sits outside while the boss car stays warm and dry in the garage.

18. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

well.. i happens to be a big fan of home theater myself..:) first off, before i go on about buying any equipments, i would take a look at the room where this will be at first.. if its a square/rectangular room with no odds shape to them, chances are that you will have an easier time finding a system that suits your needs.. any satellite speakers systems would do you fine if the room is small.. between the 2 you showed, yes, i would go with the more expensive model.. :D gotta have the low frequency or else it wouldn't be a theater.. :D
    i like my system to be loud in MY house and not bother any neighbors.. now if i live in a place that is soundproof, i'll be going all out.. :D bipolar speakers and all.. :D

19. The old make extra payments advice is bad - its all about the amortization schedule. even with extra payments you are still going to get hit with alot of upfront interest payments. Extra payments on a 30 yr mortgage reduces the back end of the loan not the front end interest. Go for a 15 year and plan on staying 5 yrs.

20. It seems some are ASSUMING that they'll want to move again in the future. That may be true, but it may not. I know my first home will also be my last, but I have reasons that most others don't. A 15 year mortgage is certainly the way to go if you can, but don't stretch yourself too thin. Figure out what you think you can afford per month, and subtract $200 or more. You'll be surprised the things that come up when your a home owner, and none of them cheap. ;)