Home made rod rack (pic)

Discussion in 'Tackle Making' started by All Eyes, Feb 1, 2008.

1. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

nice.
    i've been beating around several designs for one myself.having recently moved to a small apartment,i no longer have a garage and very little space for my tackle.i like that concept,and it just might be the ticket for me.

2. I think I have something like $35-$40 bucks in it all together which isn't too bad. I bought the three oak spindles already turned at Lowes for 5 bucks a piece and just had to cut them down and stain them.

3. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i assumed that was what you used.nice low cost design.i have a couple ideas on the swivel base,but what did you use?

4. Um...thanks...LMAO!
    I used a swivel I bought at Wal Mart for $6. It is a boat seat swivel which I thought would be way too tight but it's perfect. It doesn't free spin a hundred miles an hour but it turns very smooth and easy.

5. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

ah,that was the first thing that came to my mind:D
    cheap,easy and perfect for the job.

6. The stain and clear poly were the most expensive items. The center top spindel was 3 bucks, the wood cost like nothing and the red stuff is felt that costs about 12 cents an acre. Plus it was built right here in America. :D

7. Eyes- love it, I am sick of trying to stack them in the corner, where they get tangled up, I think they are trying to breed, they are inseparable- I'm going to make one. Thanks eyesman, great work . pete

8. NUM1FIRE

NUM1FIRE FIREFIGHTER/1ST RESPONDER

i have been thinking about buying a rod rack for my self. would u be willing to make me one and sell it to me? and if so how much. i live in minerva and i am not that far from massillon

9. That is a really nice rack. Wish I had the ability to work with wood like that.

I made one out of scrap shipping lumber that my son brought home from work.
    Mine is for use in my basement tackle and boat stuff storage room so it isn't a thing of beauty but serves the purpose and two racks hold 22 rods. I have been meaning to stain and urethane it for the past four years.:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. I was thinking of making one of those last year. I really liked the concept of a circular rod holder. Very nice job.

11. fugarwi7

fugarwi7 Lumberjack

Here are a few pics of the one I made...it swivels and hold 20 rods. Please over look the dust!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

nice setu,brian.i like the round design for space savings.in my little one br apartment,space is at a premium,and it would fit nicely in the corner of my bedroom.

13. Num 1, as far as building you a rack like this, the materials alone were $35 and that's with using some scrap and hardware I already had. It took a while to design and build even though it looks pretty basic. Just to give you an idea, there are 18 leg braces and each one has 4 screws. You can't really see them, but that's the idea. I don't think I would build one and sell it for less than $150. It just wouldn't be worth it.

14. NUM1FIRE

NUM1FIRE FIREFIGHTER/1ST RESPONDER

ok thanks not a problem i thought i would ask

15. I like the retainer latch you used and plan to add it to mine. Thanks for the idea.

16. Man those are nice racks guys. I yelled out "nice racks!" and my wife came into the computer room to question me on what I was looking at on the computer! ;) I simply stated nothing to worry about honey......... they are fising rod racks. :p

17. fugarwi7

fugarwi7 Lumberjack

Glad I could spark an idea...They work nice...the leather was easy to cut and the HD tacks added just enough of a decorated touch...cheap too! I picked up a bag of leather scraps at an art store here in Columbus...I still have a bunch left over so if you don't have any luck finding some up north, let me know and I will figure out a way to get some to you.