close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Home Improvement Projects Planned

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by crankus_maximus, Apr 21, 2005.

1. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

We always see a lot of posts on here asking for advice on Home Improvement Projects and I thought it would be neat if people listed the things they were planning over the next several months. That way we could share techniques and tips and make things a little easier. Plus, it's always cool talking shop about something that involves tools and dirt and manly sutff (sorry ladies).

Here is what I have lined up:

1. Paint stucco foundation
    2. Paint shutters and doors
    3. Fix a leak in my roof over my garage (right around my chimney for my wood burner)
    4. Install moulding around all of my interior windows.
    5. Upgrade power service to my house into my breaker box
    6. Remove old deck and build new one out of the new composite decking (towards the fall).

2. Bass_Hawg

Bass_Hawg Certified Hawg Master

Huge sandbox for the kids. 16' x 10' rectangle and also buying\putting togather one of those big wooden swing sets climing things. THAT should be fun. Other than that just a few landscaping things like adding some briks for a few of the flowerbeds we have and maybe a new walkway and such

;)

3. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

We are building a pole barn 30 x 40 in size. that will keep me busy most of the spring / summer. By the way, does any one want a roofing job? :( I am about ready to put the roof on and may just hire someone to do it. All they will need to do is put the shingles on!

4. Hmmmmh. Where do I start?

1) Raking Dirt
    2) Picking up rocks
    3) Moving Topsoil onto current dirt
    4) Planting grass seed
    5) Watering grass seed

Its a big project so if I only listed it as 1 task I would be cheating my manhood and I would not want to say anything that would compromise others' opinions of my manhood or rugitivity because I am pretty dang rugged! Now if someone would have volunteered to donate about 300 pieces of sod I wouldn't been so busy :(

6) Paint a very large porch
    7) Lanscape
    8) Paint the inside of the garage
    9) Organize my garage

Hey wait....all this is really doing is depressing me. Damn you Crankus ;)

5. Well here is my short list. (Don't let my wife see this for fear of catching hell for items not on the list or giving her new ideas.:D)

1. Tear down barn
    2. Paint another barn (siding and roof)
    3. Re-run sewer tile
    4. Build a new compost (this has been on the list for many years:rolleyes: )
    5. Painting and replacing outdoor house trim
    That is all that come to mind right now and should be plenty to keep me overly busy when mixed in with the normal seasonal duties such as mowing, gardening, ladscaping, etc. And all of this has to fit in somewhere around baseball games for my 3 boys who play at 3 different levels. That means 46 games not including tounaments at the end of season. And I am helping coach one of the boys so I am involved in his practices as well. The season ends at the end of June so a lot of the list will have to wait until then...if I can convince the boss of the house of that.

Somewhere in there I hope I am lucky enough to get a little bit of fishing in.:rolleyes:

6. crankus_maximus

The grass seeding is hard work, but easy to get done. You should do what my buddy did. Invite your buddies over for a cookout with beer and food, etc. Also aks them if they can bring a rake and or shovel. Have all the supplies waiting and ambush those guys with about an hour or two of work before or after the food and beer. Worked like a charm.

I just seeded some spots in my yard and where a stump once was (had it ground)

By the way, if you need a stump ground call STUMPBUSTERS. They were in and out in 10-15 minutes and Gregg (the owner) was super to talk to. 16-18inch stump across was $50.00. Well worth the money.

7. I would stick with before the beer if you want the grass to grass like someone knew what they were doing.:p

8. Crankus, for what I would have to spend on beer for 4-5 of my buddies, sodding the whole property would be cheaper!!! And I am definitely too poor for that!

9. crankus_maximus

Ha-ha! You got me there! I've put in several sod yards and that is one dirty job. Expensive too and not guaranteed the sod will take. You gotta water the crap out of it.

Remmebr to rake the topsoil too because it can get a little lumpy. It's a tedious job. Better done on a cooler day above 50 degrees.

10. Carpman_1977

Carpman_1977 Big Softy the Fish Finder

Well let's see..... (if I had my wife's list, it would be a litle more accurate)

1) Finish dining room (already put up waynescoating, crown molding, new paint job, new light- still have to redo drawers underneath bay window)
    2) Resod or replant the yard (darn dogs in small city lot do alot of damage)
    3) Landscaping (mow, mow, mow and rake, rake, rake)
    4) Plant garden
    5) Recycle (beer bottles that is)
    5) And ultimately after the fishing slows down, get a room ready for the baby coming in November.

I've already restained/resealed the privacy fence, the front deck, and powerwashed everything in between. Plus, I have Home Depot coming out to do the siding in the front (I have not the means or desires to get up to that third level and side it). A busy summer as alwyas :) .

11. Yeah man, if this grass doesn't take root, I will be one mad ......as I won't having nothing to mow or fertilize with my new John Deere mower.

12. mrjbigfoot

mrjbigfoot Mike

For the wife,
    - I've got to frame in for a back patio & her dad's going to poor it.
    - I've got to clean-up the garage some more.
    - I need to get the camper out of the garage & give it a Spring airing out.
    - I need to fix the battery hook-up, keeps draining the battery.
    (not that we use battery much/usually electric hookup @ campground)
    - & whatever else she comes up with...

For Me...
    - Need to get some flocking & flock the heads on my goose decoys.
    - Need to finish re-painting my goose shells (I started)
    (I want them to look as nice as my new Greenhead Gear decoys)
    - Need to re-paint my older duck decoys (I got the paint)
    - Need to re-line some reels (I got the line)
    - Need to tie some more flies.
    - Need to prep the outboard motor & run it a little.
    (make sure it's starting easy & running nice)
    - Need to shave all the winter hair growth off the dog.

13. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

I have to widen my driveway. My daughter is going to be getting her license soon and my folks are giving her their old minivan. Probably just put gravel down if the city will let me, my existing driveway is concrete.

14. bassn317

bassn317 Casual Fisherman

I've started my tasks already but here we go:

1. Take up sod for a garden.
    2. Till up the area and put soil top soil in it
    3. Plant the garden (Away from the fence so the neighbors dog doesn't pee on
    my tomatoes)
    4. Power wash the house
    5. Power wash the front porch and deck furniture
    6. Re-stain/seal front porch
    7. Polyurethane deck furniture
    8. Wax wife's car (Done mine twice already)
    9. On rainy days, put tranfer all home made VHS's to DVD

15. crankus_maximus

I bet if we let the wives look at this list they would look a lot different! Ha-ha!

16. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

My list like most of yours never ends since i own a fixer upper we have been working on.

1) put in bathroom vanity top and 2 sinks (done)
    2) complete remodle of our bedroom (paint is done trim almost done, carpet and furnishings coming may 8 or so)
    3) repaint hallway(half done last night)
    4) repaint kitchen
    5) build wall in basement to make another bedroom
    6) put in new flower bed(landscape timbers are laying there LOL)
    7) get dirt for flower bed
    8) put some more gravel in my spare parking area
    9) throw down some grass seed in bare spots
    10) get yard looking nice( done called chem lawn sprayed the other day)

List for next yr already started looks worse

17. I won't do anything till I re-stock my freezer I am down to one package of crappie!!!

18. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

Finish The 200 Prodjects I'v Started In The Last 3 Years

19. Seems when you own a home, you're never done.....NEVER! The H.D. list is always there. The trick is to do juuuust enough to keep the "better half" off your behind. Lets face facts gentlemen, what IS the priority here???? FISHING of course! Now, the things I'd like to get done around our Ponderosa is :

1. Get a contractor to talk to me about an addition on the back of the house.
    They all seem to be too busy to talk.
    2. Finish working on the small bedroom since my college grad moved out. I
    painted, new ceiling light, new baseboard and six panel closet door.
    3. Get going on xtra room in basement. Could be bedroom, office, or whatever.
    4. Get other son (electrician) to upgrade service to "this old house".
    5. Put in garden.
    6. Possibly install decreative walkway from side porch to front porch and land-
    scape.
    7. Do all of this while still dropping in on my 89 year old mother who lives 2 miles
    away one or two times a day.
    8. And of course, doing all seven of the above while working around the true # 1
    priority in this house, FISHING of course!

Sure hope the wife doesn't get the interest to start poking around this web site
    and stumble upon this post!!!!!!!! I'd be in a heep a trouble.

By the way, is converting VHS's to DVD's very difficult? What do you need?