Home heating comparisons

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Salmonid, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Ok, heres the situations, I have a large old farm house with propane heating but the house has two add ons and neither room really has any heat into them so they are really cold in the winter. Ok so in one of the 2 add on rooms used to be a buck stove but when we moved in, the previous owner took it but left the flu pipe so in the middle of this room is a 10" flu pipe that comes down through the ceiling and stops 3 feet from the ground. ( we have it sealed off though) so between hearing about everyone without power out west, we want an non-electric option for house heating durring an emergency and for supplemental heating durring the winter. Better yet if I can utilize the previous flu pipe.

Im looking for the cheapest alrternative to propane since I just had my tank topped off yesterday since 3 months ago, and it was already 560 bucks so Im not going that route. I was thinking about a corn burner but my buddy hates his and I guess the cost of the corn has more then doubled in the last 2-3 years so he doesnt see that getting any better so Ill probably steer clear of that option. Another friend has a hot water boiler system, did all the work himself and still cost him 12k to put it in and last year went through 7 cords of wood so it realy isnt any cheaper in the long run since he bought more then half of the wood. Now I could get a wood stove but my insurance guy nixed that, said would drop the policy of we added that since recent data shows that wood stoves are very dangerous and we would have to replace the wood floors again getting into more costs then we want to spend. so that leaves a outside wall fireplace or a sperate propane gas fireplace and both would be very costly to put in, soooooo, I guess Im looking for ideas on how to manage this with as little cost as possible and without having to use electricity since my generator I dont have yet will be busy keeping the basement from flooding since the sump pump runs every few minutes all winter long.

Any ideas or thoughts on what information I already had,

Thanks ahead of time,
    Salmonid

2. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i can't think of many other options that would work for you and be cost effective.one otion i can think of is nix the insurance guy and go shopping.there are lots of wood stoves being used,and i doubt most of those people are without insurance.you may have to pay a higher premium,but i can't see being denied insurance due to a woodburner.not sure why you would need to replace the floor since all floors are constructed of wood:confused:
    you do have to have a minimum amount of fireproof material beneath the stove,but that would only amount to a few square feet of tile,masonry,etc. on existing floor.
    good woodburners,when properly installed, operated and maintained really aren't "very dangerous".

3. i was going to say a pellet burner but they need electric too run the augur. only thing that I can think that doesn't need electric is a wood burner also.

4. Misfit, I agree with you and if the house had one previous, it is ok but to add one is another whole different story, it is State farm and I been with them for 25 years, go figure. He did say there were a bunch of things that would have to happen and they would allow ( a woodburner that was in the middle of the house vs on an outside wall. ) at a higher rate but I am not too interested in that either.
    I was hoping someone could shed some moe light on the situation from a different angle.

Thanks for the replys.
    Salmonid

5. Fish2day

Fish2day member

I run a vent free gas heater in my basement all winter. Needs no electricity, but it is natural gas, not propane. TSC had propane models right next to the NG ones. 100% efficiency, only complaint is some condensation when it's super cold outside. It really cuts my heat bill down.

6. BigV

BigV BigV

Salmonid, A new air tight wood burning stove would serve you well. As stated earlier, nix your agent and find another one. Since you already have a 10” flue, you can run a stainless steel liner through your old one and connect it to the new stove. Most new stoves are very efficient and will do a great job heating that old house. Most will burn up to 8 hours (all night) before adding more wood. Most have 6” outlets so running a 6” liner will not be an issue. There are codes that must be adhered to when installing, such as non combustionable materials on the floor under the stove and keeping certain distances from combustionable materials. A licensed installer will make sure your installation is up to code and your insurance agent will not have any issues insuring your home. Wood is plentiful and renewable. I go through around 6 cords a year and have never paid for wood. There are plenty of opportunities to pick up free wood throughout the year. You can purchase stoves that have electric blowers to help circulate the warm air, but when the electric goes out, the stove will still operate just fine without the blower. As a matter of fact, I only use my blower occasionally when I have been gone all day and the stove has cooled down. My gas bill (gas furnace, hot water heater, gas dryer and gas cook stove) 4 years ago was over $500 a month during the winter months. My bill now that I heat with wood is less than $50 a month. At that rate of savings, it didn’t take long to recoup the money spent on the stove.