Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be one of the fruitiest posts on the website but has anyone noticed the unbelievable amounts of lightning bugs at night the past couple days. I tried taking a video of it bc i felt like i was in some crazy rave but there must have been thousands of them all lighting up at the same time...oh and the waters extremely high caught two little bluegills though

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
I've been out on night wades deep in the river and the fire flies are so dense they create a dancing wall of light at the tree line. It is truly something to see. . . in today's age there are not many anymore that can count themselves lucky enough to have seen this beautiful wonder. It's far from fruity!!!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
151 Posts
Count me as fruity, too, lol. We have an enclosed porch and a lot of trees, so we spend a lot of evening "outdoors" (no skeeters for me, thanks!)

My wife just made this comment two nights ago.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Radiolab, a NPR science podcast, had a great episode about synchronous fireflies in Thailand and in the jungles of Asia.

Turns out you don't need to travel across the world to see these kind of cool effects. This is the great smoky mountains.

The podcast was about emergence in regards to systems and biological systems. Its a good listen if you have time.

http://www.radiolab.org/2007/aug/14/

·
Registered
198 Posts
Nothing at all fruity about that, and I have noticed it too. Lots and lots of fireflies this year. Enjoy it! It's an amazing spectacle, it just is. Insect populations go through cycles like that. 2011 was a spectacular year for butterflies. Some friends of mine who notice and care about such things are still talking about it. Looks like this is the fireflies' year, and that's pretty cool.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts