Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
love fishing almost as a much as I love the gear.
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my new boat out on the big lake last night. Launched out of the Sheffield Ramp. A buddy and I were just goofing off hoping to catch a few Smallie's and eventually went to the Lorain Light house and picked up a few off the rocks. Just a few dinks but fun just the same. I have not fished on Erie since I was a kid and there were some bugs that I am not familiar with. Thousands of small gnat like bugs (may even be gnats). Since I flunked out of my college entomology class I could not identify them, or more importantly how to keep them off of me. They didn't bite, they are just annoying and do not seem to respond to threats or swearing! can anyone tell me what they are? Are they always there or is it seasonal?

Reactions: Daveo76

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Turn your light off on your headlamp and they wont bother you..

Reactions: Daveo76

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
9,085 Posts
Sounds like a hatch of "Canadian soldiers".

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Early fall is the start of the midges. Do you remember the Indians vs Yankees 07 playoff game. Joba chamberlain got flustered by all the midges and the Tribe won the game. It was insane how many bugs were all over everyone. I think they are attracted to sweat

·
love fishing almost as a much as I love the gear.
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Midges sound right....How do i keep them away. I used some bug spray but I could faintly hear them laughing at that!

·
Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)
5,882 Posts
If they look like mosquitos but don't bite they are midges. Also midges have fuzzy antenae. Otherwise they look very much like a mosquito.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts