close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Holographic Mylar

Discussion in 'Tackle Making' started by goolies, Dec 8, 2007.

1. I picked up some Mylar sheets at a craft store and decided to try covering my 2nd crankbait. I cut it into strips before applying it to the lure with a spray adhesive. This was also my 1st attempt with Envirotex. The lure body is my version of a stretched out HJ-14.

Attached Files:

2. now thats some flash! it looks great andy..cant wait to see it in action!

3. Thats really neat Andy! That looks hard to do!!!!!!!!!

4. Thats neat. im in the process of foiling now. It is harder that it looks. :)

5. It wasn't to hard to do . I don't think I will do an entire lure again, but I will look to add pieces of mylar to add some flash here and there.

6. Many craft stores offer a material commonly called "gold leaf" but it is really a very thin metal foil. It is extremely easy to apply and is another alternative to mylar and silver furnace-tape or the kitchen type aluminum foil.

To apply the "leaf" material, you simply spray the bait with a quality all-purpose spray adhesive and stick the stuff on. Wipe off any loose pieces with a soft paint brush and stick more on in any areas you missed.

Here's a shot of a bait done with leaf foil in golds and oranges and yellows. These colors are not done separately; they are all from one sheet from this particular package. In other words, it comes in a variety of colors:
    [​IMG]

The leaf material is pretty cheap to purchase also.

7. Goolies - this looks like it came out of a pyramid (please take that as a compliment). Great colors, the red and mauve go really well with that gold, bet you can't wait to get it in the water. Vince - never tried leaf on lures (used to be a picture framer) I will have to go hunting the craft shops. pete

8. The craft store has some neat things that can be used with the lures. I was in a party store a couple of months with the family. I ventured down the gift bag ribbon isle and found a really neat bow. I got it for 90 cents and have made 4 lures so far with it. I bet I can make another 20 also. I glued a strip on each side of the lure and coated it a couple of times to smooth it out. Then I took some paint and shaded the back and the belly to blend it out. It gave a neat shimmer to the bait. If the over spray was to much I just took some naptha and wiped the side off a bit untill I was happy

Here is a pic.

[​IMG]

9. Yes Tigger , and I have been searching high and low for that ribbon, ever since you first posted it - still looking.pete

10. fugarwi7

fugarwi7 Lumberjack

I have spent my lunch hour every day this past week (and half of today) scouring the craft stores. I found all kinds of cool stuff for some different looking finishes. Since I am still in my infancy with lure builiding and finishing, I figured I would have better success with more unconventional looking finishes rather than more life-like finishes...that being said, my next couple weeks will be spent shaping and working with the stuff I found. I also built a dual drying wheel today but I need to get a motor for it. If I finish shaping before I find one, I can use my drill. I will post them when I finish, but I guess it will be few weeks.

By the way, does anybody have a source for slow turning electric motor?

11. Goolies, those purple stripes show great contrast against that gold. That thing should catch some fish for you for sure.

Fug, Walmart sells a rotisserie motor for about $20. A lot of guys use it.

12. Fugarwi- I have also been out shopping this morning, found 3 nice ‘gift bags at the ‘$ Shop’, cost me $6 - wait that’s $2 ea, ripped off.

[​IMG]

For the drying wheel, someone came up with using Microwave oven motor, you can buy them on ebay (can here anyway) usually about $5-

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb290/hazmail/uploads/P1000868.jpg

I have 3 and am using a 5-6 R.P.M model at the moment, plenty of torque and they seem to last O.K. pete

13. fugarwi7 - I ordered my motor from www.mcmaster-carr.com. Search for AC gearmotors.

I'm headed back out to the craft store with my imagination. :)

14. Don't forget to look for closeouts in the way of fancy Christmas wrapping paper. I used it for this bait in 2005:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also you can take actual photographs of fish and resize them to fit your lure. Glue them on and clear over them:
    [​IMG]

You can also make your own patterns using a computer "paint" program and then stretch them to fit the bait:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. I would of never of thought of that. Good thinking.

16. eyesman_01

eyesman_01 getting wEYESer every day

Vince, what type of paper are you printing your computer graphics on? I'd think the regular printer paper (20 lb.) would be tough to shape to the bait. Hmmm, might have to experiment a bit more. Thanks for the tip. Just goes to show the options are endless.

17. Eyes, good question. I learned this from a guy who goes by "Husky" on another board.

He created a lot of great techniques and some were innovative variations of foiling.

He uses foil (without netting) as a base. Next he prints pictures of fish on tissue paper. To do this, he takes Elmer's glue stick and glues a piece of tissue paper to an page of ordinary printing paper (you know, the standard 8 1/2 x 11 stuff)

He then prints the image of the fish on the tissue paper by running the standard page (with the tissue paper glued to it) through the printer.

Next he glues the picture of the fish onto the foil. The foil "shines" through any light spots or clearer spots on the image of the fish and gives a somewhat realistic, radiant look to the image of the fish on the bait.

However, the long blue "shad" looking bait shown in my post above was made by gluing an actual standard photograph to the bait. I placed the photo only on the sides of the bait; I did not try to wrap it over the top and the bottom of the bait. Next I simply blended the colors above and below the actual photography. Of course, I had to resize and "stretch" the photo a bit to fit the longish bait.

The tissue paper molds easily to the shape of the bait because it is so thin.

I used tissue paper when making the "paint" program finish shown above. You're welcome to use that one if you wish. I may be able to email to you if you'd like, so you can try it.

Using mylar, ribbon, wrapping paper, foil, tissue paper, and/or photographs, along with a few computer skills, could allow you to make an awful lot of nice baits without ever touching a drop of paint.

18. Vince didn't you do a lure that had pcs of tissue paper pasted on it? That was a really neat one.

19. I made a few like that, John. Here's one that is tissue paper with computer-made pattern over foil over netting:
    [​IMG]

20. If you try the tissue paper trick with computer-made graphics, make the colors darker than you think they need to be because they usually print and show up a bit lighter when you actually apply them to the bait.